Why do I lose weight when I don't cycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
This is bizarre.

Everytime I go out on a ride, I gain weight. I did my hardest, fastest, longest ride yesterday... and gained weight lol. I've been cycling for 8 weeks and overall have lost ~5lb if I'm generous to myself.

But the only time this weight loss has occurred (as opposed to weight gain!) is when I stop cycling, either through a holiday or when I fell off my bike trying clipless and couldn't ride properly for 2 weeks
whistling.gif

Then it seems to drop off!

Any ideas?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe you eat more and drink more on days you cycle due to feeling hungry afterwards.

I would hugely doubt muscle gain could explain it.

5lbs in 8 weeks isnt bad going btw!

tyred

Legendary Member
 I wouldn't worry so long as the general trend is downwards. Nothing wrong with losing 5lb in 8 weeks. 

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Fluids add 1kg per litre.

If you're not sweating you're not losing.

If you drink 2 litres of water and sweat 1 litre then you're 1kg up. You'll pee the xs out as and when when you stop.

Wear a sweat suit, then you'll loose a lot of water.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
I did keep a frank and honest diet diary and was creating ~300cal deficit a day and gaining weight. If I go for a ride (currently doing about 10-12miles 3-4 times a week) I'll gain 0.5 - 1lb in weight. If I stop for a couple of days it comes back off and more.

What is even more confusing is that my body shape has changed quite dramatically, particularly around the hips. Quite a few folk close to me have commented on this. Yet it doesn't reflect in my weight.

I have kept measurements and my thighs and calves are bigger (and biceps). Everywhere else is smaller
wacko.gif

Someone suggested it is water gain from muscle repair.

Can't understand the human body at all
tongue.gif

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There's a lot of random noise if you weigh yourself frequently, it's the long-term trend that matters - and 5lbs in 8 weeks sounds like a respectable trend that is likely to be maintained over time. The general advice from dieticians is that anything more than 1-2lbs a week is unlikely to be sustained.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I did keep a frank and honest diet diary and was creating ~300cal deficit a day and gaining weight. If I go for a ride (currently doing about 10-12miles 3-4 times a week) I'll gain 0.5 - 1lb in weight. If I stop for a couple of days it comes back off and more.

What is even more confusing is that my body shape has changed quite dramatically, particularly around the hips. Quite a few folk close to me have commented on this. Yet it doesn't reflect in my weight.

I have kept measurements and my thighs and calves are bigger (and biceps). Everywhere else is smaller
wacko.gif

tongue.gif

Pretty much the same as me... I lost over a stone in the first 6 weeks of riding regularly and eating carefully, but the last few weeks has been a real struggle to lose any weight, even though I am doing more exercise and only consuming around 1600 cals per day. I drink about 3 litres of water a day though, so I guess that's 6 pounds of water a day.
My calves are an inch bigger than two months ago too
smile.gif

ChrisBD

wacko.gif

tongue.gif

Im nt going to get into specifics (because its been done to death) save to say well done; 5lds in 8 weeks is not to be sniffed at - and weight loss is not an easy thing for many, much harder than the basic maths of less cals in more cals out.

My only real point to note is that I think you would be better off jumping on the scales less frequently; your posts suggest you may be doing this after each ride? Cut this back to max once a week, then you will be getting a more overall picture and not getting dissheartened by fluxtuations - lets face it there is so much that can make the scales move over th ecourse of a day so as not to give you a true picture.

Keep at it, and it will come.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Pretty much the same as me... I lost over a stone in the first 6 weeks of riding regularly and eating carefully, but the last few weeks has been a real struggle to lose any weight, even though I am doing more exercise and only consuming around 1600 cals per day. I drink about 3 litres of water a day though, so I guess that's 6 pounds of water a day.
My calves are an inch bigger than two months ago too
smile.gif

1,600 cals a day? that has to be wrong. the daily amount you should be eating is 2,500 kcal and thats for people that don't do exercise. I once counted up how much i ate a day, and stopped counting when i got over 4,000 kcal.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Depends if they are male or female, of course. 2500 is maintenance level for a man in a sedentary job who gets an average amount of exercise, while the figure for women is 2000.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
1,600 cals a day? that has to be wrong. the daily amount you should be eating is 2,500 kcal and thats for people that don't do exercise. I once counted up how much i ate a day, and stopped counting when i got over 4,000 kcal.

I am female and was trying to create a deficit. I even recorded things like butter in sandwiches... I have definitely given up on that as I wasn't getting any success. I'm eating more and losing more. Which suits me fine
biggrin.gif

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I am female and was trying to create a deficit. I even recorded things like butter in sandwiches... I have definitely given up on that as I wasn't getting any success. I'm eating more and losing more. Which suits me fine
biggrin.gif

The recommended calorie intake for women to lose weight is around 1000 kcal, so the OP seems to have hit on a sensible level if she is exercising more as well.

Keep at it !

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...

I am keeping a food diary this week - will post it up after the weekend
wink.gif

Top Bottom