Why do many hate...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
How come there's so much hate for Bradley wiggins? Is it because he is a daft looking mod?

snorri

Legendary Member
Suspected of drugs misuse, stressing the importance of the h word at one time, but actually hating? That's a strong word.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Suspected of drugs misuse, stressing the importance of the h word at one time, but actually hating? That's a strong word.
TUE's doesn't bother me. My friend said he's a right see you next Tuesday and his books are rubbish. Ohh well.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Because you have to click on it to find out what it's about and then it's a complete waste of your frickng time when it turns out to be nothing you're interested in

At least, that's why I hate ... thread titles that don't indicate the subject of the thread

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We get used to polished media-friendly folk, and then someone comes along who either won't or can't be cuddly on camera.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
We get used to polished media-friendly folk, and then someone comes along who either won't or can't be cuddly on camera.
That's as much of a persona as anything else, I think - and not one I was fond of, personally. I appreciate the talent, but prefer someone who comes across as less of an arse, personally.

But this is life; many people whose work we admire are not people that we would choose to spend time with.

Slick

Guru
To be honest, I think he exudes exactly what is required to be successful at any sport. He doesn't apologise for it, and why should he?

That smirk when he crossed the line behind Froome does add fuel to the fire though.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
How come there's so much hate for Bradley wiggins?

My friend said he's a right see you next Tuesday

You appear to be extrapolating a widespread view from the opinions of a single person. Why not ask your friend why he hates Wiggins?

I can't answer the question myself because I don't hate him.

The hatred seems to stem from the fact that he's a superb cyclist, who isn't actually all that bothered about cycling, he's just naturally very good at all sorts of sports. He's even going to try Rowing next.

swansonj

Guru
I like him.
Me too. I like my sports stars to be human beings with the sorts of weaknesses I can identify with. (Give me a Damon Hill over a Senna or Schumacher any day). I like Wiggins' inconsistency- brilliant when he's at his best but off-seasons in between. I like his lack of on-message conventionally polished media style. I like his obvious enthusiasm for the range and history and culture of cycle sport. I rate achieving the seemingly impossible of being the first Brit to win the TdF much higher than being the second and winning it four times. And I especially rate his interest in competing in a much wider range of events than most cyclists.

I think one of the most potent images from recent cycling is not Wiggins or anyone else actually winning anything, but Wiggins in yellow leading out Cav for the Champs Elysee sprint.

Ihatehills

He was a right miserable swine when competing in the jump, couldn't handle being averagely crap at skiing. That said I think the Tue media reporting has definitely changed public perception

Top Bottom