Why do my spokes keep breaking? - Bike wheel science.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

durianrider

Ive found black spokes break easier for some weird reason. Not black mavic spokes but black spokes you might see on an entry level bike. Anyone else had this issue?

Ive found black spokes break easier for some weird reason. Not black mavic spokes but black spokes you might see on an entry level bike. Anyone else had this issue?

There are two ways of making stainless steel spokes black: 1) Paint 2) Black Oxide.

Neither method has any effect on the durability of the spoke. A poor quality/badly installed black spoke will break just as quickly as a silver one under the same circumstances.

Paint doesn't last very long on a spoke as it readily chips off. Black oxide on the other hand, is extremely durable. Black spokes cost more than silver spokes.

Just revisiting this thread about wheels hanging. Even the BBC and their experts get it wrong when trying to teach kids.

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/articles/zf6v6v4

I will you to debate the gryroscopic effect too.

I just puckered a good dozen washers onto my chair when I read that.

Now imagine the same idiots informing you on climate change, the food pyramid and green cars.

Last edited:

Waterwheel

Regular
The most common cause of broken spokes is simply carrying to much luggage on your bike. The second is if the spokes are not properly tensioned. If they are slightly too loose that will put too much strain on a few spokes at a time. If they are too tight they will snap because they are under too much tension. Get you spokes re tensioned at a bicycle shop. Or you may be a very heavy rider in which case you just have to keep on replacing broken spokes until you manage to lose enough weight. I always find that old second hand bikes are most prone to spoke breakage. If that is the case the spokes may be coming to the end of their life and will need replacing.

The most common cause of broken spokes is simply carrying to much luggage on your bike. The second is if the spokes are not properly tensioned. If they are slightly too loose that will put too much strain on a few spokes at a time. If they are too tight they will snap because they are under too much tension. Get you spokes re tensioned at a bicycle shop. Or you may be a very heavy rider in which case you just have to keep on replacing broken spokes until you manage to lose enough weight. I always find that old second hand bikes are most prone to spoke breakage. If that is the case the spokes may be coming to the end of their life and will need replacing.

Nonsense.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think that I am one of the oldest people on here as I am nearly 53
First of all: :welcome: to CycleChat. As @CarlP has suggested, pretty sure you're below CC median age
Have you read this thread through?
1. "carrying to (sic) much luggage on your bike." and "Or you may be a very heavy rider in which case you just have to keep on replacing broken spokes until you manage to lose enough weight." Please could explain why a heavy rider or one carrying some luggage will make it more likely a spoke will break? Have you experienced spokes breaking for either of these reasons?
2. "if the spokes are not properly tensioned." Provided the rim is true, what do you mean by 'properly'? How does a rider (say like you) determine whether the spokes on their wheel(s) are 'properly tensioned'?
3. "If they are slightly too loose that will put too much strain on a few spokes at a time." Why will having spokes looser than 'properly tensioned' mean that additional strain (produced by higher tension) goes on a few spokes at a time? In a moving wheel with a load on, the tension increase in spokes, compared to the spokes in a wheel without load is, as a percentage, rather small. All but the bottom few spokes will experience a slight additional tension. The lower spokes will reduce in tension, by a significant amount.
4. "If they are too tight they will snap because they are under too much tension." Why will spokes under 'too' much tension tend to break? Surely the rim will break first.
5. "The spokes may be coming to the end of their life and will need replacing." Quite possibly. But if they are old wheels an an 'old second [or more] hand bike' then probably not worth replacing more than a couple of spokes as once one or two have 'come to the end of their lives' their neighbours will soon be knocking on the mortuary door.

I have a 27" Dawes which used to regularly snap spokes.
The wheels were laced incorrectly but it didn't stop there.
The recommended tyre pressures were 65 psi.
This is the unbelievable bit: I deflated the tyres to 50 psi and I only lost a couple of spokes in the last two year. Yes, they are cheap spokes.
To prove the point I tried inflating to 65 psi again and lost 2 spokes on my next 3 short rides.
I'm happy to have a slightly softer ride as I don't rush around anymore.
I'm not condoning using anything other than manufacturer's recommendations. However, if worked for me.
Good luck.

Ajax Bay

Guru
First of all: :welcome: to Cycle Chat.
However, if [sic] worked for me.
Sorry - what worked for you? What point were you trying to 'prove' by pumping your tyres up a bit? Why do you think there is a any causative effect between spokes parting and tyre pressure 15psi more. For context it would be useful to know tyre width and weight of you plus bike.

First of all: :welcome: to Cycle Chat.

Sorry - what worked for you? What point were you trying to 'prove' by pumping your tyres up a bit? Why do you think there is a any causative effect between spokes parting and tyre pressure 15psi more. For context it would be useful to know tyre width and weight of you plus bike.

Apologies for being so vague. About 2 years ago I was recovering from a back injury and with the aid of a fat bum saddle decided to get back on the bike. Local roads are boneshakers and that's when I let the tyres down a bit. This did assist recovery. After two years I decided to pump the tyres up to their recommended pressure. It was only then, when my spokes started pinging, I remembered the issue. I wasn't trying to prove anything it was a complete coincidence.
I replaced the spokes, inflated to 50 psi and have not lost a spoke since.
I thought it was unbelievable and can't think of any plausible causation.
Just sharing an experience.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
@Yellow Saddle: :stop: (please ^_^)
End Mod Note.

@itracm welcome to CC!
I'm no bike mechanic, nor a mechanic at all, but I think your broken spokes were a coincidence, nothing to do with tyre pressure, imo, of course.

The most common cause of broken spokes is simply carrying to much luggage on your bike.
How much is too much though?
The touring section, then, should be riddled with tales of broken spokes, tourers carrying camping equipment over long distances.
It isn't btw, most tourers mechanicals are snapped cables and punctures.

Am off to make a spoke propelled rocket, seems like they have mystical
powers that can support serious loads when they are under them.
Wonder if I could just use a few of them and keep them on the bottom
for they seem to be way too weak to hang from.
Next up, turn dropouts upside down as the wheel will have more support.

Top Bottom