Why do my spokes keep breaking? - Bike wheel science.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PapaZita

Guru
There was talk somewhere above of a reference where these tensions were measured. Can anyone post a link please?

I have done that, for my own amusement, in the past. I’m sorry, I’ve nothing to link to. I may attempt to recreate it, if I get time and a willing helper/weight.

Jobst Brandt’s book does have a section on the loads on a wheel, with diagrams of the deformation of a wheel produced by finite element analysis. He does radial, braking, and driving loads, in isolation and in combination. Here’s a sneaky preview of the radial load case, which is mostly what we’re discussing:

77D345FD-FAF0-476A-A7E3-0DADAB6561F4.jpeg

Salar

A fish out of water
The wheel.jpg
Well,

I've just quickly ran a basic"wheel" through one of my analysis programmes. Ignore units, measurements etc, this is just to show the principle.

The bottom three spokes are considered as being "supported" at the ground.

The green lines indicate the change of forces in the members.

The green line to the rim is the radial axial load.

The green lines in the bottom three spokes indicate reduced tension in these spokes only, no other spokes.

This computer analysis tallies with @Yellow Saddle sketch.

View attachment 446743 Well,

I've just quickly ran a basic"wheel" through one of my analysis programmes. Ignore units, measurements etc, this is just to show the principle.

The green lines in the bottom three spokes indicate reduced tension in these spokes only, no other spokes.

Please say it.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I had 4 go on my front wheel last night. Only ever had 1 go in a lifetimes worth of riding before that. I’m working on assumption that it may be something to do with the fact that I had put my bike (front wheel) in front of the hall radiator yesterday evening. They all went within a space of one minute at various locations on the wheel.

I had 4 go on my front wheel last night. Only ever had 1 go in a lifetimes worth of riding before that. I’m working on assumption that it may be something to do with the fact that I had put my bike (front wheel) in front of the hall radiator yesterday evening. They all went within a space of one minute at various locations on the wheel.

Something is the operative word, but not because.

As stated before, spokes break in fatigue and fatigue breaks develop over time. The last straw breaks the camel's back and the rim heating up and expanding to put more tension on the spokes, probably did the job. However, had the heating not done it, the next ride would have. Except that the next ride would only have broken one spoke because you would have stopped when it broke.

Have a look at the broken ends. They will be absolutely perpendicular to the spoke. There will be a large grey area indicating that the break has taken place over time and then a small shiny bit with a little pip. That's the straw that broke the camel's back and the only bit that broke in tension.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
So, on the shoulders of giants and all, here's what looks like a definitive study, including experimental measurement of tensions.

Fig 6 is the money shot.

It turns out that the lower spokes close to contact with the ground do indeed, as suggested here, take most of the change in tension, as a reduction.

*All* the other spokes, top middle and even in the lower half further from the ground show an almost uniform but small increase in tension.

http://www-civ.eng.cam.ac.uk/cjb/papers/p20.pdf

Screenshot_20190112-135358_Drive.jpg

PapaZita

Guru
So, on the shoulders of giants and all, here's what looks like a definitive study, including experimental measurement of tensions.

From the very engineering department where I mostly snoozed through structures lectures! :smile: Thank you, I will enjoy reading that.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
What strikes me about all these "hang or stand" threads is that generally everyone seems to agree about the detail of what's actually happening (see Yellowsaddle's or Ajax Bay's drawings back on page 3, or roubaixtuesday's post above), and that the argument is about how to describe what's happening in words.

Ajax Bay

Guru
From a Park Tools article.
Effect of Radial Load
Rims get a downward load at the hub just by sitting on the bike and riding. This stress tends to flatten the rim slightly at the bottom, close to the 6:00 position. Because of this flattening, the bottom few spokes will drop slightly in tension. However, at the same time, the spokes to the left and right side of the bottom, at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions, rise slightly in tension. The spokes at the 12:00 position do not gain tension . . . every time the wheel rotates, each spoke goes through this cycle of getting looser and tighter.

What strikes me about all these "hang or stand" threads is that generally everyone seems to agree about the detail of what's actually happening (see Yellowsaddle's or Ajax Bay's drawings back on page 3, or roubaixtuesday's post above), and that the argument is about how to describe what's happening in words.

Not really, there wasn't any consent here, if any, until just a few months ago. It wasn't just the nomenclature, it was the concept.

This week saw a milestone on this forum. It's been four years on this forum of arguing the case before one person saw the light, maybe a year ago, I'm not exactly sure. In the last week, a flood of others finally grasped as well. In those four years the naysayers were loud, overwhelming and acting like a mob. In those four years I've repeatedly suggested a simple experiment to empirically prove the point and help with the understanding, but not a single person took me up on it, relying instead on intuition and common sense, both of where were out of kilter. The experiment is extremely simple and requires no equipment other than a bike and a buddy. In those four years we've had several engineers promising me that they would produce a force diagram showing their version of a model, but none came to the party, usually buggering off on a huff because of the way I sometimes say things, using that as an excuse to not face their limitations.

I can't list the number of fallacies committed in the process on my hands and toes. I don't have enough digits. The fallacies range from ad-hominem (the most common), to appeal to authority, straw man arguments, argument from popularity, faulty comparison, you name it, it was committed. It got real nasty at times. At least one reasonable man left the forum because of that.

What absolutely surprised me is that the suggestion of pressing the wheel against a wall (one I tried several times before) and the new one of pressing the wheel against the ceiling, helped one or two people grasped the concept. That I'm very happy about and I'll use that in future and certainly when I get an opportunity again one day to teach it to structural engineering students.

I still maintain that the correct terminology is to say the load stands on the bottom spokes. The fact that the mechanism is reversed doesn't matter, it is just a brain-switch you need to make. Looking at the tension graphs show it empirically.

This tread should become a sticky.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
View attachment 446743 Well,

What are the bottom three spokes supported by, as it certainly is not the rim?

Top Bottom