Why do people bother to carry puncture repair kits with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Never, ever carried a puncture repair kit. And to be honest, anyone willing to ride a tyre with a tube patched by me really needs locking up for their own safety. In fact even if I've put a new tube in, you'd be pretty mad to ride it. I ride them cos I have to.

clid61

Veteran
Cant believe this thread has gone this long without a blowout

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have been resisting posting but every time I see the title it goads me. I carry puncture repair equipment because I cycle ten miles into work mostly on country lanes away from all public transport routes and I do not wish to carry a heavy lock with me or have to walk five miles to work or to home, and I have had occasional punctures over the years. Sorry for posting on this already long thread but it feels cathartic to have done so and the thread title will no longer annoy me now.

DRHysted

Guru
This is a wind up thread isn't it? I couldn't imagine someone locking up something and trying to find alternative transport just because they've had a puncture.
Personally I don't have a choice, there is no public transport running when I'm commuting or near where I'm commuting, so it's repair or long walk.
Regarding the occurrence of punctures, last year I had 2, so far this year 16 (it's proving a bad year so far).

Sharky

Guru
Used to do it all the time

carriers3.jpg
I've done that as well.

potsy

Rambler
I think for the type of riding the OP is talling about he'd be better off fitting some solid 'Tannus' tyres or an equivalent.

No worries about ever having a puncture then :okay:

Personally I hardly ever go anywhere without my repair stuff, maybe when I go to the shop which is a one mile round trip, but anything over that I just wouldn't feel comfortable, and coming from someone who has maybe one (maximum two) flats per year.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Do people bother repairing tubes? I find it too fiddly... easier to carry 2/3 tubes and just replace it in the event.

I never came a cropper with this except the other day, I had replaced no less than 3 tubes with each one the valve disintegrating. Must have been a bad batch. Luckily I was about a 20 minute walk to a LBS. If I was finishing a late or a night shift I would have been buggered as the shop would have been shut.

Needless to say I now carry 3 different brand tubes just in case.. And a few pairs of latex gloves to avoid getting oily hands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom