Why do people get such strong feelings over electric cars and solar panels etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have solar panels and they save us a great deal of money.
Electric Cars are way, way too expensive and to be frank I don’t think they are going to be around much longer as car manufacturers wishing they had petrol cars to sell to draw the customers and make them money.

What do you mean here ?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
True, however EVs aren't immune to the need for finate materials - Lithium being the big one

Lithium is, at least in principle, infinitely recyclable, and can be extracted from seawater.

https://www.science.org/content/art...y-unlimited-amounts-critical-battery-material

Fossil fuels are one use.

I'm not saying there are no problems with lithium, far from it, but it's a different thing entirely to fossil fuels.

The change from principle to practice is where the big bucks are. Nobody has quite got there yet, but they will have to. Lithium is becoming a very important element due to a big increase in uses. I wonder if it'll come to the point where there's a choice between end uses. Personal transport or solar energy storage batteries for example.

Hungary made for the European market and I read various reviews. Nio is planning on bringing a premium suv to the UK market. One review said it was to compete with the porsche cayenne! That made me laugh. Would you buy a porsche EV or a Chinese brand if you had the money for them?

I think this idea was discussed by vw a few years ago as under development I think. Or was it Nissan? One of the bigger early adopters.

tinywheels

Über Member
I could lease an audi Q4 for 450 a month all in. So it looks like a good deal, or is it?
Don't think I could put up with range anxiety,as I like to listen to the radio and run the air con etc.
A couple of people at work lease electric vehicles and won't get another for various reasons.
Frankly, I think the market has already decided electric ain't the way to go. They make some sense as a lease at present, but fark putting my own money into one as a private buyer.
Empirical evidence seems to suggest the futures not electric.

Alex321

Veteran
I could lease an audi Q4 for 450 a month all in. So it looks like a good deal, or is it?
Don't think I could put up with range anxiety,as I like to listen to the radio and run the air con etc.
A couple of people at work lease electric vehicles and won't get another for various reasons.
Frankly, I think the market has already decided electric ain't the way to go. They make some sense as a lease at present, but fark putting my own money into one as a private buyer.

Unless you can invent and develop a viable alternative in the next few years, "the market" will have no choice.

But given EV sales have increased as a proportion of new car sales every year, for some time now, I think you are wrong anyway about "the market has already decided electric ain't the way to go".

I think you're talking bobbins.

Radio uses no traction battery. It's from your 12v.
Aircon is a couple of miles range cost.

I've had my EV for almost 4 years now and it's saved me thousands in fuel and we've never had a problem charging.

The market has definitely decided that electric is the future. Whole factories have been built for electric cars and they don't do that on a whim.

I'd love to know what you think the future is.

dicko

Guru
Car manufacturers "wishing they had petrol cars to sell" will not make petrol cars suddenly reappear. Very few countries will allow the sale of new petrol cars after about 2035, some sooner than that.

Electric cars will be around for as long as people are wanting personal cars.

Would you buy a second hand electric car? Think about it, your the second, third or fourth owner of the EV if battery goes whilst, you own it, you are going to get a very large bill.

dicko

Guru
Car manufacturers "wishing they had petrol cars to sell" will not make petrol cars suddenly reappear. Very few countries will allow the sale of new petrol cars after about 2035, some sooner than that.

Electric cars will be around for as long as people are wanting personal cars.

See what the Tory’s did? Push back the EV only date from 2030 to 2035? It was done to get them re elected without the worry of being forced to buy EVs. No prospective government will set a date for EVs only its political suicide because the electorate don’t trust them or afford them.

CXRAndy

Guru
Would you buy a second hand electric car? Think about it, your the second, third or fourth owner of the EV if battery goes whilst, you own it, you are going to get a very large bill.

Its only like an engine going, granted maybe not as much. That's because currently manufacturers are supplying whole new battery packs. There is a small but growing market for companies replacing individual sections and on some battery design cells only. This will bring repair cost down enormously

dicko

Guru
Its only like an engine going, granted maybe not as much. That's because currently manufacturers are supplying whole new battery packs. There is a small but growing market for companies replacing individual sections and on some battery design cells only. This will bring repair cost down enormously

I have reconditioned many engines they are all similar but with batteries that’s another thing. You are going to need safety training before you ever go near an EV battery and the shock will kill you.

Alex321

Veteran
See what the Tory’s did? Push back the EV only date from 2030 to 2035? It was done to get them re elected without the worry of being forced to buy EVs. No prospective government will set a date for EVs only its political suicide because the electorate don’t trust them or afford them.

They have done that, yes they have pushed back the date, but mainly bringing it in line with other countries.

Numbers being sold bely your claim that "the electorate don’t trust them or afford them.". Many can't afford them new, but that was always true of ICE cars. A littkle more true of EVs, though the difference is falling all the time.

Some, like you, don't trust them. But their share of the market is growing all the time. So clearly enough do trust them.

Top Bottom