Why do people hate Lance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
shooter560 said:
Because 99% of those who dislike him in the UK are jealous of his abilities and lets face facts its a UK trait to dislike and put down anyone who achieves anything above being a loser.

I have 100% respect for his riding abilities, and also his dedication to the sport and what was needed to achieve those goals, no where does it say be good but also bow to others, to be the best you have to be dedicated, single minded and willing to stand apart from the rest, he did all this and more and achieved 7 TdFs wins.

Maybe if people in the UK took more from his methods attitudes and drive they could also achieve more.
Yay! 'All u haterz r jus jelous' :biggrin:
I'd started a virtual countdown in my head, just waiting for this post or one of it's variants. Thanks for not letting me down Shooter... :biggrin:

shooter560 said:
Maybe if people in the UK took more from his methods attitudes and drive they could also achieve more.

Nah. I'd sooner be a pleasant, well - liked, consistent underachiever, thanks.:biggrin:

shooter560

Rhythm Thief said:
Nah. I'd sooner be a pleasant, well - liked, consistent underachiever, thanks.:biggrin:

That is your choice and I respect you for that, but when I want something and want it bad enough I don't care if I come across as pig headed, arrogant etc as long as I get what I want.

Those who say taking part is what counts are talking utter crap, top level sports people invest time, money, blood, sweat and tears, not for the fun of it but to be the best they possibly can, and not one is bothered about how they come across as long as they get their dream, they are doing it for themselves not anyone else.

shooter560 said:
That is your choice and I respect you for that, but when I want something and want it bad enough I don't care if I come across as pig headed, arrogant etc as long as I get what I want.
Why sir, your charm quite overwhelms me..
<swoons on nearest chaise-longue>

Christopher

Über Member
Actually no-one's mentioned Lance's irritating American fans, who consider him The Greatest Cyclist Ever (dude), when he's not even the most successful American cyclist in terms of total pro wins (that's Davis Phinney). I find the hype about Lance even now more tiresome than the man himself, who I don't really care about

To be fair, Lance would never have won 7 Tours if Jan Ullrich had applied himself a bit more & not fallen off in the rain in that time trial

zimzum42

Legendary Member
shooter560 said:
when I want something and want it bad enough I don't care if I come across as pig headed, arrogant etc as long as I get what I want.
Sir,

I suggest you remove yourself from the country forthwith and relocate to somewhere more appropriate to your character. May I suggest Wall Street, or perhaps Shanghai....

kennykool

I don't hate him!

I've read everything there is to read on LA and he is an inspiration to me in EVERY aspect of life. It annoys me that folks give him a hard time!

beancounter

kennykool said:
I don't hate him!

I've read everything there is to read on LA and he is an inspiration to me in EVERY aspect of life. It annoys me that folks give him a hard time!

+1

bc

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
As none of us has ever met him (I assume) it is difficult to actually hate him (very strong word).

He does come across as a very focussed individual who happens to be fairly self-centered and arrogant in his approach, but you cannot deny he is/was one of the best at what he did - professional cycling.

Yes, he only trained for the one race, but does that detract from what he achieved - not at all, it just means he put more effort in to what he deemed to give the biggest reward (and who can blame him - how many people are aware of the 'other tours'?) and was justified in doing so as he reaped the benefits of his intense labour.

Arrogant. Check
Self centred. Check
Egotistical. Check
Bit of an peanut. Check
Motivated. Check
Survivor. Check
Determined. Check
Winner. Check

Frustruck said:
Actually no-one's mentioned Lance's irritating American fans, who consider him The Greatest Cyclist Ever (dude), when he's not even the most successful American cyclist in terms of total pro wins (that's Davis Phinney). I find the hype about Lance even now more tiresome than the man himself, who I don't really care about

To be fair, Lance would never have won 7 Tours if Jan Ullrich had applied himself a bit more & not fallen off in the rain in that time trial

That is easy for you to say sat at home watching the TdF but at the time they all did the best they could How could Ullrich of applied his self more. There are not many riders out there that could do what he has done. As for falling off they all fall off even Lance! In the end the best one wins.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Arrogant. Check
Self centred. Check
Egotistical. Check
Bit of an peanut. Check
Motivated. Check
Survivor. Check
Determined. Check
Winner. Check
+1 and so well put

I think he is also disliked for being an American (a Texan at that :wacko:) in what is largely viewed as a European (Franco/Italian) sport.
He won "their" race too often.

Because he only trained for - and won - the TdF, he is criticised for not doing the other Tours. He says it shows the respect he has for the TdF. They say he is not a real champion.

His recovery from cancer is amazing ... and maybe leads to questions about 'masking' any alleged drug use ... but he himself paid for lots of extra drug testing and never showed up 'non-negative'.

An riddle inside a conundrum, wrapped in an enigma ... or something like that :smile:

Skip Madness

Frustruck said:

Wasn't Armstrong already taking time out of Ullrich in that time-trial when Ullrich fell? Or rather, he wasn't losing anywhere near enough time to threaten the yellow.

Top Bottom