Why do people hate Lance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
This photo has a lot to do with why folk don't like Lance

001083686.jpg

It sort of encapsulates why folk don't like Lance. the swaggering, the posing, being American, the 'we beat and we did good yall' that sort of stuff makes him very unpalatable

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I do like the debate about whether Ullrich was as good , or should have been as good as Lance, but the nuts are bolts are this. Team Disco had one objective, to win the Tour and Lance win Yellow. Ullrich's teams never had that, Zabel for eg never put one effort into assisting Ullrich.
Disco (like CSC this year) had one intention to win the tour. Ullrich never had that, thats why he came 2nd

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ultimately he is disliked because he is deeply unlikeable.

I agree totally !
Originally Posted by scoosh
I think he is also disliked for being an American (a Texan at that ;))

My comment is confirmed by Steve Austin's pic and my opinions after reading 2 of his books. He's a man who comes across as having major chips on his shoulder(s). He seems to encapsulate what many would consider to be the worst of 'Americanisms' - brash, precocious, flag-waving and successful, with the added quota which comes from being a Texan (bigger, brasher, more precocious and more successful.)

Still not completely convinced about the doping bit, though. I dearly want to believe he was clean but, as girofan says:
What interests me is that all his major opponents have been found to be druggies, yet Lance still beat them in the Tour. How come? They were major talents without drugs. Surely with a little heip from EPO and the like they were better? But he still won! Perhaps his help was more beneficial!!! :rolleyes:

Watched an interview with the Austin Texas bike store owner who sponsored Lance as a 14 triathlete who reckoned he was the most arrogant and obnoxious kid he'd ever encountered. He sponsored him because he was winning every race he entered, against athletes 10 years his senior. Not for his personality. One doesn't have to like the guy to be able to admire his achievements. I have no doubt that his arrogance, self belief and single mindedness were key factors in his success. The TdF isn't a personality contest.

I actually quite like him - have read a lot of stuff about him as well as his books (although how much of them he actually wrote himself I don't know), and he is actually really funny and I totally admire his determination. So he is full of himself - at the end of the day he has every reason to be...think some of this might just be people struggling with his very texan attitude.

I'd love to meet him and see what he's like in really life!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
Armstrong was the best rider around as far as the TdF goes. I think that was due to his dedication to the sport and his single mindedness towards being the best at what he did which was riding and winning the Tour. His personality did not endear him to many people but in my book that doesn't reduce the performances he performed on the bike. Seeing him in full flow on some of the big mountain stages still thrills me when I watch them, even now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

I agree with that Keith. What I couldn't stomach was the Simeoni stunt. That was despicable.

Having recently watched the film about some of the other tour greats, Anquetil wasn't well liked, Merckxx understandably wasn't much liked in the peloton, and as for Hinault, well, Michael Hutchinson describes him as a bit of an all round b@astard.

I think it has less to do with his nationality and more to do with his personality.

I think when it comes down to it, I'm a bit of an elitist as far as sport goes. I love to see one sportsman / team rise above the rest and crush everyone else year after year.* I think you need your villains / rivalries for maximum drama and entertainment.

*this does not of course apply to Glasgow Rangers FC

Tetedelacourse said:
Having recently watched the film about some of the other tour greats, Anquetil wasn't well liked, Merckxx understandably wasn't much liked in the peloton, and as for Hinault, well, Michael Hutchinson describes him as a bit of an all round b@astard.
Even the French didn't like Anquetil, which rather shoots down the 'argument' that Armstrong is resented for winning the race too often and not being French. Even the French recognise a true bastard when they see one....

Merckx was feared as much as disliked, because he was so ferocious on the bike and Hinault was a fearsome competitor. Both of them were very hard men, but within the context of the event itself. Armstrong took it way further, to a degree that's hard to stomach.

beancounter

Chuffy said:
Armstrong took it way further, to a degree that's hard to stomach.

Well, absolutely. It's only a BIKE RACE ffs! :ohmy:

bc

mangaman

There's also the Bassons episode
http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jul99/jul18.shtml

Basically I don't care if he's American - LeMonde was well liked and respected

It was his attitude to Simeoni / Bassons and his whole "I'm the most tested athlete on the planet and never positive" thing which annoyed me

Especially seeing his whole team blasting away for 3 weeks at the front of the peleton without breaking a sweat, then virtually all testing positive when they left

I read his book It's Not About the Bike. "By now I could read an X-ray like any doctor"... ordering the hospitals to get his own special food... he comes across in the book as incredibly arrogant and makes far too many references to his mum. Seems a little oedipal really....

And, as others have pointed out, he just concentrated on winning the Tour and didn't do any of the other races.

And as Girofan points out, he was better than anyone on his team who has now been proven to be using drugs :tongue:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
He DOES like his Mum, doesn't he!!
He likes all women.

But at least with his Mum his affections are enduring, whereas his affections for his wives / girlfriends only last until he gets a sniff of the next.

kennykool

Cathryn said:
He DOES like his Mum, doesn't he!!

Doesn't everyone like their Mum tho???

Don't know what you're getting at here folks!!!!!!

maybe some of his team have tested positive since they left

Question....HAS Lance tested Positive??????????? Thats all that really matters

Answer...NO!

Top Bottom