Why do people hate Lance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tim Bennet. said:
But at least with his Mum his affections are enduring, whereas his affections for his wives / girlfriends only last until he gets a sniff of the next.

And isn't it funny that each of his girlfriends look just like his mother ?

'Oedipal' - I suspect a psychiatrist would think so.
I'm not suggesting incest, but Lance's father left when he was about 3, Lance and Mr Armstrong the step-father never got along, his mother kicked him out when Lance was about 10, leaving Lance with no father-figure and acting as his mother's protector.

It was very much 'the pair of them against the world' - Lance and his mother didn't have what could be regarded as a 'normal' relationship.

She's been married, what is it, 5 times ?

Part of who Lance is, is because of his major sense of injustice against the world, his chip on the shoulder, his viewing of so many others as 'enemies' and wanting to take 'revenge' on them.

asterix

Comrade Member
Isn't 'hate' ather strong in this context? After all, his 'crimes' are completely insignificant for a world figure.

I'm surprised he still arouses such interest now that his competitive career is fading rapidly into the past.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I started the thread and yes, 'hate' probably is far too strong a word, but it seemed to fit the bill, based on the general loathing I'd found about him. I'm only interested because I'm new to pro-cycling so have had the media dinning into me how Lance was the best ever cyclist and had been surprised by how differently cyclists seemed to see the situation.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cathryn said:
I started the thread and yes, 'hate' probably is far too strong a word, but it seemed to fit the bill, based on the general loathing I'd found about him. I'm only interested because I'm new to pro-cycling so have had the media dinning into me how Lance was the best ever cyclist and had been surprised by how differently cyclists seemed to see the situation.

They're a strange breed these cycling tifosi. You generally find that the ones who 'hate' Armstrong also revere Pantani and Ullrich who both were found to have feet of clay!

They say things like, " I loved the aggressive way Pantani danced on the pedals when he attacked on the hills". Well of course he could - he was stuffed to the coagulating gills with epo:evil:

Mind you it is quite easy to dislike LA!

rich p said:
They're a strange breed these cycling tifosi. You generally find that the ones who 'hate' Armstrong also revere Pantani and Ullrich who both were found to have feet of clay!

They say things like, " I loved the aggressive way Pantani danced on the pedals when he attacked on the hills". Well of course he could - he was stuffed to the coagulating gills with epo:evil:

Mind you it is quite easy to dislike LA!
What confuses me is the way that the likes of Rasmussen and Landis (now Ricco) are absolutely loathed on here while, as you say, the likes of Pantani, Simpson et al are still held up as heroes.

Maybe it's an anti-ginger thing...
eusa_think.gif

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Chuffy said:
What confuses me is the way that the likes of Rasmussen and Landis (now Ricco) are absolutely loathed on here while, as you say, the likes of Pantani, Simpson et al are still held up as heroes.

Maybe it's an anti-ginger thing...
eusa_think.gif

Quite! Substitute Ricco for Pantani - except that Ricco got caught younger!

Cathryn said:
OOoh I don't like Ricco. Apart from the drug thing, I just think he looks nasty!
See! It's a ginger thing!

;)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Simpson is regarded as a hero because he wasn't a cheat. He doped, but in those days everybody did so if you wanted to compete on a level playing field you did the same. In fact it would have been hard to be accepted by your fellow pros if you were not prepared to be "One of the boys" at a time when doping was seen to be a harmless nescessity in order to survive in a gruelling sport.

The likes of Landis and Ricco are on a different plane, they doped when there was a genuine attempt in pro cycling to rid the sport of drugs and gave themselves a big advantage over those who were trying to ride clean.

Blonde

It's to do with how they come across in interviews and how the press likes to depict them. Press will seize on anything for a good story so any outbursts in the heat of the moment, in an emotional state or when injured (I'm thinking of Cadel Evans being a bit sore when people were tapping his injured shoulder) will be repeated over and over, as well as out of context, for maximum effect. Lance Armstrong never came accross as a 'nice guy', not even in either of his books. But then you have to be a bit odd/eccentric/arrogant/nasty to win the Tour de France that many times. It goes with the job - and it's called focus, or committment or something, and is one reason (of many) why I'd never be any good at racing. No one really knows what L.A. is actually like; only what they have gleaned from the press and from his books which don't paint the most flattering picture. I'm sure his friends and family think he's a lovely chap though. Some are better than others at managing press coverage, and make much better use of the attention (perhaps they actually enjoy the attention, whereas some don't) and therefore come accross better to the general public. I'm also sure that some will deliberately cultivate a 'Mr Nasty' image, or the more elusive 'Mr Enigma' image for career reasons as well as in order to protect their privacy.

gazzaputt

As I have never sat down and shared I beer with Lance a can't comment on his personality.

From books and interviews I can see how focused and committed he was to his sport.

I think the guy is inspiring.

gazzaputt said:
As I have never sat down and shared I beer with Lance a can't comment on his personality.

From books and interviews I can see how focused and committed he was to his sport.

I think the guy is inspiring.
I too am inspired by him. I aim to be less of an arrogant nob than he is and am sure that I shall succeed. :wacko:

Top Bottom