Why do people hate Lance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some people had a great deal of "buy in" to the Lance lie, I recall one (former?) CC member would not be swayed and got a Livestrong tattoo; he did, eventually, realise he had been duped, and I think that the number of people who were let down is the worst thing of all about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Who is Lance?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Pro cycling has always been a dirty sport. That's part of the fascination. Armstrong's biggest sin was to make it boring.

suzeworld

Veteran
What's a daffodil .. ?

Yesterday, mooching about in local charity shops my nephew kept locating Lance books and waving them at me.
<sigh>

Disabledcyclist40

Lance won a dirty race dirty

He also inspired millions, myself included

Raised millions for charity

And gave the sport a huge boost in following, again, I'm here, in many ways, because of Lance

Do I like he cheated? No, did the majority 9f his time cheat? Hell yes, would they have all pushed it as far if they could have afforded too? No doubt in my mind.

So quite why that makes Lance "worse " is beyond me personally.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

He also inspired millions, myself included

Raised millions for charity

And gave the sport a huge boost in following, again, I'm here, in many ways, because of Lance

Do I like he cheated? No, did the majority 9f his time cheat? Hell yes, would they have all pushed it as far if they could have afforded too? No doubt in my mind.

So quite why that makes Lance "worse " is beyond me personally.
Oh, FFS, good luck to you but we did these arguments ad nauseam way back when.
Just search for the 100s of pages of threads when it was current and save us the grief all over again.
By the way, WW2 has finished and we won...

...depending on whose side you were on, of course:smile:

Disabledcyclist40

Oh, FFS, good luck to you but we did these arguments ad nauseam way back when.
Just search for the 100s of pages of threads when it was current and save us the grief all over again.
By the way, WW2 has finished and we won...

...depending on whose side you were on, of course:smile:
Couldn't resist a Lance love in :smile:

BTW how's the bore war going?

Tin Pot

Guru

...Or did he?

Lance Armstrong's drug of choice, EPO, 'doesn't work', scientists claim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...drug-choice-epo-doesnt-work-scientists-claim/

The CHDR and Lancet itself, not the journo translation:

https://chdr.nl/...oad-race-performance

"For well-trained non-professional cyclists, the performance enhancing drug rHuEPO (recombinant human erythropoietin) appears to have a small effect on high intensity laboratory cycling tests, but the performance enhancing effects were mostly undetectable in a laboratory time trial test and an endurance road-race up Mont Ventoux (France), according to a new study.

The double-blind, randomised trial, published in The Lancet Haematology journal, involved 48 well-trained non-professional male cyclists aged 18-50. While no adverse events were recorded, the drug led to elevated levels of haemoglobin and adhesion molecules which could potentially increase the risk of thrombosis."

Tin Pot

Guru
Yeah, it doesn't actually say that EPO doesn't work, but the Telegraph are making the most out of that headline anyway.

I hate science journalism almost as much as advertising.

Top Bottom