Why do people hate mudguards so much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I just saw a mudguard on my way back that I think everyone would unanimously agree was terrible. I actually wasn't sure what it was until I cycled close to him to have a look.
He'd butterflied a plastic 1 litre milk bottle in half and attached the end where the lid would be to his seat post so the flappy bit left over was hanging down off the end of the bottle.
I was hoping we would hit a red light so I could take a covert photo with my phone but alas they were all green (for once) so you'll just have to take my word for it!

It was like this but upside down
View attachment 13925

Yes but it is MacGyver's bike.

BSRU

A Human Being
A perfect example this morning of the advantage of mudguards.
Heavy rain just stopped before I left home but roads very wet with lots of standing water, but I was kept nice and dry, especially my feet, by my mudguards.

Rear mudguard is a blessing when cycling through the puddles in the dockyard. Some of them are 30 or 40 foot long. The hybrid has a front one mounted on the rack - I know the rack, panniers and guard add pounds to the bike but I like to think of it as resistance training with a bonus of being able to fit most of the weekly shop in.

Top Bottom