Why do people hate mudguards so much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
What you lot do on your own is up to you, but I discourage people from using mudguards on the FNRttC simply because they cause delays. I do my best to persuade them to leave racks and panniers behind as well. http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/p/its-most-definitely-about-bike.html

I'm thinking of doing the same with slick tyres.

Why not have a formal dress code? Prevent anyone from riding who has dressed themselves or their bike inapproprately in contravention of the rules. No exceptions.

- No replica team GB kit

- No mudguards

- No replica Pro team kit

- No yellow, KoM or green jerseys

- No racks, panniers, saddle bags or bar bags.

- No World's jerseys

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
All I can think is that some of your riders don't put 'em on properly.
we're a very mixed bunch, with all levels of experience and none. I take a deal of pride in that, but along with the mix of riders we have a real mix of bikes, and some of them aren't so sophisticated or particularly well put together. Some are heavy (hence the advice about racks and panniers). And some aren't that well maintained.

today.......I shall be riding a road bike in Hampshire, and then come back, change, take the Brompton to Wickes, load the rack with 25kg of gravel and ride back home, grateful of the rack and not worried about the mudguards. That's because the Brompton is not really a bike - it's a utility vehicle with pedals.

The rack, being the size and shape it is, is incredibly strong, and the mudguards mean that when I can use it in light rain when I've got a suit on. Now........it may be that I'm very fortunate in having both the Brompton and the road bike, but when I want to ride a bike for the love of riding a bike I don't really need the extra clobber.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
today.......I shall be riding a road bike in Hampshire, and then come back, change, take the Brompton to Wickes, load the rack with 25kg of gravel and ride back home, grateful of the rack and not worried about the mudguards.
And to think that you got us all worried about you being stuck in the house in your 'home alone' thread - there was no mention of you going out on your bikes! :thumbsup:

sabian92

Über Member
oh, please! If a 'guy' is slowing you down, don't be a wheelsucker, just overtake.

I've been riding in all sorts of weather for a long time. And I've never felt the need of mudguards.

To be honest, I could slow Stephen Hawking down but that aside, I don't understand any arguments for not having them. Unless you live in a place like where I do where NOBODY rides a bike over the age of 10.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
2097451 said:
I do the visionary better world bit. Others will be needed to turn that into reality.
I have difficulty telling the difference between virtual and actual "reality". Usually the only clue I have is that the resolution is slightly better in actual reality. Mostly.

VamP

Banned
Things that those of us who see bikes as tools rather than toys/posing machines use ;)

Well that's told me. I'll go along quietly back to my toys then shall I?

Davidc

Guru
It's a bit like helmets.

If you don't want to use mudguards don't, if you do then do.

In this case I'm in the always wear them group.

Mudguards stop me from getting absurdly wet, covered in shoot, and hit by the little stones used for road surfacing. They also make my bike look better.

Helmets on the other hand...

Edit: deleted what I just wrote, this just isn't the place for it!!

Maz

Guru
But then why not make the whole bike out of force field? Perhaps the batteries would be too heavy...Unless you made them out of force field as well.
Where can I get one of these "force fields"?
You need a Dawes bike...

"The Force is what gives the Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things; it surrounds us and penetrates us, it binds the Galaxy together..."
obi-wan460.jpg

400bhp

Guru
four or five times that I can recall - and one cost us 40 minutes

the rack and pannier thing is slightly different. Yes, we have had problems with racks (although not for a while) but the real difficulty is that riders who are not strong turn up with rigs weighing 45lb. Cue disappointment

How many rides have you done? what's the total time "lost" in that above?

Divide that by the total number of hours cycled on your rides and what percentage has it added to your ride time?

It seems a bit of an odd request to me, but they are your rides & your rules and respect to you for organising them. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom