Why do people hate mudguards so much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
What you lot do on your own is up to you, but I discourage people from using mudguards on the FNRttC simply because they cause delays. I do my best to persuade them to leave racks and panniers behind as well. http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/p/its-most-definitely-about-bike.html

I'm thinking of doing the same with slick tyres.

Serious question - how often have you had mudguard issues on FNRttC?

I've not experienced any on any of the ones I've been on, or to think of it any of the other non FNRttC group rides.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
What are these ''mudguards'' you speak of?

Things that those of us who see bikes as tools rather than toys/posing machines use ;)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Serious question - how often have you had mudguard issues on FNRttC?

I've not experienced any on any of the ones I've been on, or to think of it any of the other non FNRttC group rides.
four or five times that I can recall - and one cost us 40 minutes

the rack and pannier thing is slightly different. Yes, we have had problems with racks (although not for a while) but the real difficulty is that riders who are not strong turn up with rigs weighing 45lb. Cue disappointment

Stevie Mcluskey

Über Member
As a slight aside, why do so many folk moan their mudguards require constant attention? Well, the answer is because the don't know how to set them up properly. Never have a problem with mine.

Got to agree with that. Always had mudgaurds on my commuters and fitted them immediately when i started back into cycling in May. Have had some issues over the years but as per Dragos post problems usually self inflicted thro' lack of maintainance and neglect with bits corroding etc. Trying to clean the latest bike thouroughly at least once a week.

sabian92

Über Member
just drop back twenty metres

OK, fair enough, but if you're doing a decent pace why should one guy with no guards slow you down? Not being funny, being genuine now. A set is 20 quid tops and they last ages. It's worth having if you ride in any sort of bad weather.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
OK, fair enough, but if you're doing a decent pace why should one guy with no guards slow you down? Not being funny, being genuine now. A set is 20 quid tops and they last ages. It's worth having if you ride in any sort of bad weather.
oh, please! If a 'guy' is slowing you down, don't be a wheelsucker, just overtake.

I've been riding in all sorts of weather for a long time. And I've never felt the need of mudguards.

Davidc

Guru
four or five times that I can recall - and one cost us 40 minutes

the rack and pannier thing is slightly different. Yes, we have had problems with racks (although not for a while) but the real difficulty is that riders who are not strong turn up with rigs weighing 45lb. Cue disappointment

All I can think is that some of your riders don't put 'em on properly. As I said in post #14 I've ridden a long way and a long time with no issues with mudguards (or racks or panniers).

The only issue is that getting mine off involves surgery and new bolts to get 'em back on again, and they get inspected and checked when the bikes get their monthly service.

I've intended for some time to join a FNRttC if you're doing a Brighton one when I'm at mother's on my own for a weekend, but expect to see mudguards, rack and probably saddlebag, 'cos the rack and guards don't come off!

Yes, well, I've been riding in all sorts of weather too and you might be surprised at the number of mechanical failures that occur in particular to chainsets and specifically rear mechs that is a direct result of salty spray thrown up during winter months by the front wheel. These problems often occur in the summer months after the corrosion has had a bit of time to work. Headsets are even worse as the dirty water is forced into the bottom race with more force, the mechanics on here will back me up on this.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They're the work of the devil i tell thee :evil:
No mudguards
No Strava
No Derailleurs
and no hills?
Er, Paul lives "Top of a pigging big hill"!

He has been out on a lot of my hilly forum rides and gets up most stuff on his fixed. He put gears back on his bike for a couple of rides but then decided to get rid of them again! :thumbsup:

As for mudguards ... I have Crud Roadracers on my Basso (click my signature link for a picture of it), but my Cannondale is a fair-weather bike and goes without.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After today's ride i really appreciate my mudguards. Riding fairly quick along a lane near Condover I had to move over to allow room to pass a car coming the other way at which point I passed through a rather large pile of dog poo....... which completely failed to spray all over me and the bike thanks to full length mudguards.

Some of you may say MTFU, but I'm quite content to have guards and not smell of poo.:thumbsup:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
2089839 said:
Just imagine how much better it would be if we could replace the mudguards with a force field to do the same job without the weight, aesthetic detraction, and rattles.
But then why not make the whole bike out of force field? Perhaps the batteries would be too heavy...Unless you made them out of force field as well.
Where can I get one of these "force fields"?

Top Bottom