Why do people hate mudguards so much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
[QUOTE 2091077, member: 1314"]Mudguards don't stop road water spraying onto the cyclist behind.[/quote]

Not entirely but it's far nicer than having no guard at all and just having a face full of road grime on your face because it directs it lower. A flap will help as well, but there is no way to completely eliminate it unless the guard funneled straight back onto the ground because it was an inch from the floor.

Eh, I don't use them, I have no need to. When I live somewhere where there are other cyclists then I'll buy a pair. Till then, I won't bother.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've got full length rattly mudguards on my commuter.

I absolutely LOVE IT when I make a tight manouvere and take the front mudguard off with my foot.

Herbie

Veteran
I've recently got caught a few times out in torrential rain going both to and from work recently and every time ended up with a huge black/brown stripe up by back and all over the back of my trousers.
I got one of those clip on rear mudguards and it's been great I no longer need to do an emergency wash and dry of my outer cycling clothes everytime I cycle in the rain.
I can't noticing a lot of people seem to really hate mudguards and think no bike should have them fitted. Why is that? I can get it if you're racing but surely for a commute it's a no brainer?

A bikes not a bike if theres no mudguards IMHO but you like getting sprayed with mud and water when it rains thats up to personal choice

I have an Axiom Rackrunner - a bit of plastic that extends slightly out and down from the pannier rack, to which it's zip-tied. It's probably useless for anyone really close behind me, but it stops some of the mortar shots from raining down and prevents me from looking like a badger. Nowt on the front though - regular bike cleaning and laundry is sufficing thus far. Sadly, proper (well, semi-proper - I have insufficient eyelets on my bike) guards are in the "another thing to buy" pile at the moment.

Out of curiosity I did the maths for theoretical range (= v^2/g) of road crud for 15 and 20 m.p.h. (probably as fast as I feel comfortable going on wet roads on my commute), and it tops out at 4.6 and 8.2 metres respectively (ignoring air resistance) - that's for a 'target' about level with the bottom of the chain. So if you knock a little speed off in the wet, you'll cut down the 'danger zone' considerably even without guards.

Maz

Guru
I've got nothing against mudguards. One of my best friends is a mudguard.

My better half and I both have mudguards on our fixed bikes, it seems to make us a bit of a target to be scalped by certain kinds of other cyclists. We usually let the other rider go past before I utter the immortal word "kill", I then keep pace but hang back a bit just to register and thoroughly enjoy the look of dismay on the guys [it is always male, now why is that?] face as a lady on a pink bike with no gears and mudguards smiles and says hello as she sails serenely past, even better if there is a hill ^_^.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My better half and I both have mudguards on our fixed bikes, it seems to make us a bit of a target to be scalped by certain kinds of other cyclists. We usually let the other rider go past before I utter the immortal word "kill", I then keep pace but hang back a bit just to register and thoroughly enjoy the look of dismay on the guys [it is always male, now why is that?] face as a lady on a pink bike with no gears and mudguards smiles and says hello as she sails serenely past, even better if there is a hill ^_^.

She needs to add rack an panniers too for extra points ! I dispatched a guy on a nice Cannondale Super Six this morning. Couldn't match him on the flat and wind assisted, but as soon as the road went up and into a headwind, I passed and dragged him along for a couple of miles. He did thank me for the tow !

On the Boardman I have a front semi clip on thing attached to my pannier frame which works in conjunction with the under seat tool bag to stop the line up the back. Front wise, the Boardman has such a broad tube it acts as a mudguard with the bonus of being rattle free.
I get more than enough noise from my left hand peddle - nothing apart from replacing it stop that and even then it appears after about 3 weeks of use.

Top Bottom