Why do people hate mudguards so much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2089839 said:
Just imagine how much better it would be if we could replace the mudguards with a force field to do the same job without the weight, aesthetic detraction, and rattles.

Weight - What are your's made of? Lead?
Aesthetics - YMMV
Rattles - Fettle it

OP
OP
J.Primus

J.Primus

I think this result was pretty much guaranteed on a commuting forum. Ask on a WWW forum, especially the "chronically unfit ride at 5am on a Sunday morning so no one can see me riding with the seat at the wrong height and no commuters on Grifters with a Steinberg piano in their rucsack will overtake me" subforum, and the result is guaranteed to be the opposite.
WWW?

Grayduff

Über Member
Can anyone recommend some clip on mud guards i don`t want to get my nice new Gore Phantom (another thread) dirty :angry:..

Cheers ^_^

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I like the statement they make.

"I ride this bike in the rain, get over it."

Road cyclists on mudguard less bikes conspicuous by their absence when it is raining in these parts. Both on commute, Mon - Fri, and Sunday morning club runs.

Following folk without mudguards on wet roads can be a pain in the face.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I suspect the true answer is that, as none of the pro tour riders use them, then most clubs and groups consider them the work of the devil.

me included.

Its my own vanity I'm afraid, I'm happy to admit that and I consider the black muddy, horse-crappy stripe up my back to be the mark of a true rider^_^.

Just keepin it real (ducks)

edit. I also hate rattles of any description and would really, really hate rattly gaurds
I would have thought that mudguards would be de rigueur in riding groups or clubs so as to prevent spraying your fellow riders in the face with effluent coming of your back wheel in wet conditions.

Me, I have them on my bike for aesthetics, comfort and to protect my frame and moving parts..

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I would have thought that mudguards would be de rigueur in riding groups or clubs so as to prevent spraying your fellow riders in the face with effluent coming of your back wheel in wet conditions.

Me, I have them on my bike for aesthetics, comfort and to protect my frame and moving parts..
you presume club riders will take their £5000 carbon weekend ride out in the rain.:whistle:

sabian92

Über Member
I think it's a service to cyclists behind you (if you ride in a busy city anyway) to have guards on. You might not care about the skidmark of mud up your arse but it's going into their face!

I personally don't ride with mudguards (but then, I don't ride in the rain either, nor do I ever have a cyclist behind me - literally!) but I have a rear rack which does a pretty decent job from what I've seen from underneath it when I've ridden on a damp road!

If I was ever stuck behind somebody with no guards on in the rain I'd ask them if they liked having shoot from the road on their face, because I certainly don't.

Love mudguards as long as they are well fitting a rattle free, on some bikes I actually think they enhance the look

Rattle free, how true. One of mine has started rattling. I even stopped mid-ride yesterday and took the wheel off to tighten things up and it's still rattling. If I can't fix it today, it's coming off!

Top Bottom