Why do people hate mudguards so much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Only on the front, which I've not decided whether to keep or not. The forks aren't guard friendly, I use P clips ...
The rear doesn't need one. I've a pannier rack fitted, does the same job.

Bodhbh

Guru
Road cyclists on mudguard less bikes conspicuous by their absence when it is raining in these parts. Both on commute, Mon - Fri, and Sunday morning club runs.

I moved down to Wiltshire in May and wondered why not a single commuter on my run used mudguards. Now the weather is turning and they've vanished I see why - none of them cycle in the rain.

Cress1968

I'm 44 and rode to work in every job I've had in all weathers without mudguards simply cos I prefer the "without" look but after having my front wheel throw a squashed slug up into my mouth the other morning I went out and bought crud catchers front and rear. Best thing I ever did lol I really notice the difference when it's wet. I hate how my bike looks now but I think I'm getting too old to worry bout that now lol

EthelF

Rain God
I think it's a service to cyclists behind you (if you ride in a busy city anyway) to have guards on. You might not care about the skidmark of mud up your arse but it's going into their face!

That's one of my main bugbears when riding in the wet. I don't particularly mind being overtaken (I'm pretty used to it by now!) but I do object to getting a faceful of roadyuck as they pull in in front of me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm 44 and rode to work in every job I've had in all weathers without mudguards simply cos I prefer the "without" look but after having my front wheel throw a squashed slug up into my mouth the other morning I went out and bought crud catchers front and rear. Best thing I ever did lol I really notice the difference when it's wet. I hate how my bike looks now but I think I'm getting too old to worry bout that now lol
TMI!

(I feel a bit sick)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I use full length mudguards on the commuter, they keep a hell of a lot of water/ dirt off you, I don't want to turn up to work dripping wet and covered in dirt/sand/muck etc..

The nice weekend bike doesn't have mudguards.

I've recently got caught a few times out in torrential rain going both to and from work recently and every time ended up with a huge black/brown stripe up by back and all over the back of my trousers.
I got one of those clip on rear mudguards and it's been great I no longer need to do an emergency wash and dry of my outer cycling clothes everytime I cycle in the rain.
I can't noticing a lot of people seem to really hate mudguards and think no bike should have them fitted. Why is that? I can get it if you're racing but surely for a commute it's a no brainer?

I'm not a purist, so I am happy to clip mudguards on my roadie as and when - usually late autumn and early spring when the raods are still OK (not too skatey) but lots of rain.

400bhp

Guru
mudguards permanently on the hybrid - used for family rides and commutes in crappy weather.

mudguards on the caad 9 most of the time - crud roadracers on now until the end of winter (too much faff removing and reattaching). SKS Raceblades for the rest of the year, unless i know the weather is going to be dry for a few days i might take them off.

Davidc

Guru
I'm going to be ordering a set of SKS Bluemels for my tourer. Can't make up my mind whether to get silver or black. The originals were shorter and silver. Difficult choice to make.

Pity I can't fit full mudguards to the Ridgeback, but the Crudcatcher clones work quite well.

Christopher

Über Member
I hate them but better than a muddy back, chainset/bb/chain etc. Have a large set on the commuter permenantely and none on the other 3 bikes.

Trail Child

My current commuter has fenders. My new winter commuter is going to get mudguards. My Pinarello will not have anything of the sort. I put mudguards on my commuters because I don't think my boss would appreciate mud in my hair for the day (somehow it ends up on the back of my neck & hair). I don't care if I have mud on me after riding my road bike. That's part of the fun.

daSmirnov

Full length steel mudguards. All year round.

I had them off for about a week this year, just to see what the bike looked like without 'em.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom