Why do people hate mudguards so much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Like mudguards but they give me the disadvantage of slowing me down so I can't race the "special people".Not that I need much excuse anyway.

Drago

Legendary Member
They don't slow me down in the qualifying hears of the Olympic Commuter Racing event. Kicked plenty of WWW arse. Most of the Lycra bodysuit boys endure greater losses through mediocre fitness and technique than they would from mudguards.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I bought some mudguards recently, whereas, normally with new bike bits, I can't wait to fit them, these have sat in the box and I have been putting off fitting them.

What's a front mech to all of us fixie pixies out there?:whistle:

They're the work of the devil i tell thee :evil:
No mudguards
No Strava
No Derailleurs

boydj

Legendary Member
Our club has a 'mandatory mudguards' rule for all club runs from the clocks go back until the clocks go forward again. Makes the runs much more sociable when the roads are wet. Lots of the people have 'winter' bikes and put the 'good' bike away for the winter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just ordered some full mudguards for the MTB for winter/ice commutes down the Trans Pennine. Should keep some of the crap off me, as usually just have a splash guard. Will probably use it more with guards.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
[QUOTE 2091077, member: 1314"]Mudguards don't stop road water spraying onto the cyclist behind.[/quote]

Not straight out of the box they dont but the addition of a flap hanging down the back as far as practical makes a huge difference.

HovR

Über Member
I would have thought that mudguards would be de rigueur in riding groups or clubs so as to prevent spraying your fellow riders in the face with effluent coming of your back wheel in wet conditions.

In many they are. My club requests (mandates?) that mudguards be fitted when the roads are wet.

I wish I had them fitted last weekend. Despite the roads being bone dry, we still came across 2 sections of flooded road 6 inches+ deep! I let myself go through behind everyone else so as not to give them a soaking!

I was really impressed with the Cruds some riders were running. I expected them to rattle and shake around, but they were dead silent, and provided excellent coverage even going through flood water.

Top Bottom