Why do people like you stop in front of people like me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Wind, rain, night and day, all year round she gets on her sit-up-and-beg and goes. She's a proper commuting cyclist and has been for years. Today she's made to cry by a dick in all the gear. Thinks. He's. It.

The way she tells it a lapse of concentration means she ends up pulling up in front of this bloke at some lights rather than waiting behind or alongside as she normally would. Lights change, they cross the junction, he passes and blocks her path.

She knows it wasn't great cycling so it wasn't his questioning of her riding that upset her, or even his bully-boy block. It was his ignorant, arrogant, presumptive 'why do people like you'-line. She's a tough one my partner, good in adversity and cool but this hit a nerve. (What did he mean? Woman? Not skinny? Wrong bike? Too slow? No Lycra? Not good enough?)

Sadly her riposte came to her some minutes after he'd ridden off towards whatever sad appointment he had. Just in case he's reading it went like this....

'Small penis?'

schlafsack

She has a small penis?

I love it when the lycra brigade barge in front of me at the lights then I cruise past them on my crappy hybrid. Doesn't alwasy happen but I've learnt, all the gear doesn't always make you that fast.

sabian92

Über Member
I've had it as well at a keep clear box before some traffic lights. Some knobber in all the gear on a really expensive looking Spesh something or other blasted down the outside of traffic, skimmed my drops (as I was waiting at the keep clear box) and then plonked himself in the box. Thought better of saying something but I wish I had now.

Some people think because they look one of the Schleck brothers or Lance Armstrong, they are. Gives a bad name to everybody who rides a bike, really. If 2 cyclists can't get on then what chance to car drivers have of giving us room when our own don't?

tadpole

Happened to me, on my ride home from work, two young chaps on nice looking roadies, bullied passed me at the lights, and in to the front of the cycle area. I sat there, puffing and a blowing, I got the "look at that fat bastard" look. They looked kind of sad as I left them behind on the first slope we came to, when they had run out of gears to change down to. I am fat and my bike is old, but I average 16.8 to 20.2mph on my 9 1/4 mile ride home (with six sets of lights along the way) We should respect all on two wheels, from the fattest to the fittest and all points in between.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I get nerks who are upset by the fact that I am faster than them despite my lack of penis all the time. Usually they undertake me at the lights, RLJ, ride in the extreme right hand of the bus lane, so I can't over take them and I sigh and jsut use the lane next to it over taking them and letting out a little trump in their face if possible.

400bhp

Guru
Let's put a bit of perspective on this.

There's a lot of talk on this forum about an annoyance of cyclists that will move to the front of a queue after you have overtaken them at some previous point. It irks many people.

It sounds like this bloke had had his fair share and lashed out. I'm not condoning what he did but we all have moments we're not proud of.

400bhp

Guru
Happened to me, on my ride home from work, two young chaps on nice looking roadies, bullied passed me at the lights, and in to the front of the cycle area. I sat there, puffing and a blowing, I got the "look at that fat bastard" look. They looked kind of sad as I left them behind on the first slope we came to, when they had run out of gears to change down to. I am fat and my bike is old, but I average 16.8 to 20.2mph on my 9 1/4 mile ride home (with six sets of lights along the way) We should respect all on two wheels, from the fattest to the fittest and all points in between.

I think you're reading far too much into it.

Top Bottom