Why do people like you stop in front of people like me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I get nerks who are upset by the fact that I am faster than them despite my lack of penis all the time. Usually they undertake me at the lights, RLJ, ride in the extreme right hand of the bus lane, so I can't over take them and I sigh and jsut use the lane next to it over taking them and letting out a little trump in their face if possible.

Ladies don't trump ! :laugh:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
In all seriousness I'm a lot happier not giving a fark what other road users (regardless of mode of transport) think about me. I'm not arrogant (I don't think) but I spent years feeling very hemmed in and paranoid about upsetting other road users so these days dealing courtesies out to other road users but giving no mindspace to imagined aggressions leads to far happier rides.

As with any aspect of life, some people are shoots and some people are diamonds, we make friends with the diamonds and disregard fæces.

rb58

Enigma
My commute home is part of de-stressing after a day in the office. If I let every instance of bad cycling (or driving) get to me, I'd be as stressed when I got home as when I left the office. I learned quite some time ago to relax, stay safe and not allow things to wind me up. And I'm much happier for it. Having said that, I do occasionally shout "Oi! That's a red light" on my way to the office, but that's about as far as it goes.

redcard

Veteran
Let's put a bit of perspective on this.

There's a lot of talk on this forum about an annoyance of cyclists that will move to the front of a queue after you have overtaken them at some previous point. It irks many people.

It sounds like this bloke had had his fair share and lashed out. I'm not condoning what he did but we all have moments we're not proud of.

Yeah, if the guy came on here and posted we'd probably all take his side, right.

Edwards80

Über Member
Not seen him for a while but I had a chap who used to overtake me when I started commuting last year on my heavy MTB, he'd shout at cars that had done nothing wrong, shout "move" at other cyclists when there was a full lane to pass etc.

Now I use the road bike to commute and am a lot fitter, I started overtaking him regularly. He stopped next to me at the lights after I had overtaken him (in the next lane, nowhere near him) and he said "Ya, F****ng shouldn't do that"

Me:"Do what?"

Him:"F****ng . . . . (blank confused look)"

I couldn't help but laugh. Some folks are just assclowns - ignore them :smile:

Lyrical

fen x
Eh, I don't really mind if people pull up infront of me at lights...

It works like this, I get kicks out of overtaking people, the overtaken people get kicks when they get to the next set of lights and I'm there waiting and they can think "Pfft see going faster got you nowhere!"

It's win-win in my world.

Edit; I'm a lyrca roadie douchebag.

thefollen

Veteran
Personally I think we should all have each other's backs as cyclists on the road whether roadies, mtb, duchesses etc. In effect someone slower 'barging' in front isn't too dissimilar to a cyclist filtering in front of a car or motorbike- ok we have the ASL on many occasions and are totally entitled to use it but I'd imagine motor vehicles often think the same.

Saying this, I never cut in front of another cyclist when stopped at lights (unless there's masses of room in the ASL and a clear slot). Get plenty of people doing it to me, but I really don't care. As soon as traffic's moving and the coast is clear they're usually not in front for long ;-) Maybe it's the case that some cyclists feel the need to cut to the front as they feel uncomfortable in a pack. I've actually found older gents (40+ - older than me anyway) to be a bit bargy. Have had to give an 'easy Boris' when a bojo's almost wobbled into me on a couple of occasions!

As I've said in a few posts, commuting just requires a bit of patience and composure, even if you're a speedy gonzalaz riding a scalpotron 5000. The bloke in the OP sounds a bit of a douche, but hey, you get 'em.

redcard

Veteran
What does 'ASL' mean? It's confusing me seeing it because my initials are ASL!

advanced stop line

cycle_zone.jpg

GrasB

Veteran
I've given up with ASLs. I find I get where I'm going quicker by getting to a nice spot between cars a few cars back from the lights & staying in lane. This way I avoid the whole problem of people barging in front of me, most of the time going beyond the ASL to do so, then causing me to have to accelerate hard from 5mph or so to 25mph in the small gaps between cars.

Top Bottom