Why do people like you stop in front of people like me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lancj1

giving no mindspace to imagined aggressions leads to far happier...

This - applied to life in general. So accurate.

Every hobby or leisure pursuit I have had over the years seems to alienate itself against the outside and then turns on each other. Must be a way of the world I guess.

In this case, its riding a bloody bike :wacko:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Happened to me, on my ride home from work, two young chaps on nice looking roadies, bullied passed me at the lights, and in to the front of the cycle area. I sat there, puffing and a blowing, I got the "look at that fat bastard" look. They looked kind of sad as I left them behind on the first slope we came to, when they had run out of gears to change down to. I am fat and my bike is old, but I average 16.8 to 20.2mph on my 9 1/4 mile ride home (with six sets of lights along the way) We should respect all on two wheels, from the fattest to the fittest and all points in between.
Its hard to guess what people were thinking though, it might just be they're impressed/suprised at your pace. :smile: I definitely agree about sticking together as cyclists though.

tadpole

Its hard to guess what people were thinking though, it might just be they're impressed/suprised at your pace. :smile: I definitely agree about sticking together as cyclists though.
Not real hard, one guy, looked over at me gave me a fat bastard look, nudged his mate, pointed with his head/chin, his mate looked over, muttered something ending in *unt. and they both laughed. I'm thick skinned, and mostly don’t notices the subtleties of human interaction because of a mental condition, so it has to be pretty clear cut for it to even register with me.

Maylian

Veteran
I tend to assume the looks I get are of admiration. I know when I'm walking along I look at all cyclists with admiration and longing to be back on my bike.

As for scalps and aggression I do love over taking any cyclist I can although I always make sure to give them plenty of room and normally won't pull back into secondary for a long time to make sure I'm clear. I shout at RLJers regardless if their lycra clad roadies like me, hipster fixies or just people pootling along on their bikes. I also tend to try and ride defensively for some other cyclists when the traffic is busy and I think they look nervous as then traffic overtaking me is well away from the other cyclist.

But yeah a little friendly competition is fun but I think of cyclists as a nice family, although still think hipsters on fixies are the adopted ginger children....;)

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps he has the squirts and was 'desperate' to get to work?

I ride in Lycra but always try to be friendly and considerate to other cyclists. Sadly, the SAS roadies are often the ones that don't respond to greetings.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would either wait behind someone or more likely if there is the space pull up beside (on their right), that way I'm not in their way, nor them in mine and we can set off at the pace that suits us. I'm quick at accelerating but can't maintain that pace, but like to get away from the junction and the bunch.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I can see the guys point. It can get annoying if the same people continuously filter in front of you and then pull away really slowly.
It happens to me regularly in London, however I don't go talking to people like that, we have to share the road and that includes with other cyclists, we should be happy that they are on bikes and not on the train, car or motorbike.

lukesdad

I can see the guys point. It can get annoying if the same people continuously filter in front of you and then pull away really slowly.
It happens to me regularly in London, however I don't go talking to people like that, we have to share the road and that includes with other cyclists, we should be happy that they are on bikes and not on the train, car or motorbike.

Gaz is a miserable geet he won't even talk to anybody when he s stationary. < :angry: Gaz on a good day > ^_^

Reactions: gaz

PpPete

Legendary Member
My other half is often un-necessarily overtaken by "all the gear -no idea" merchants on her commute. Unfortunately it's a narrow & busy road and difficult / dangerous to overtake back on the uphills where she is invariably faster - despite riding a 22 year old steel tourer laden with pannier.

Unfortunately there are some clowns who seem to think "female" - must be faster than her. or "tourer/panniers" - must be able to overtake that.... and slow down immediately after.
It's the same mindset as the drivers who assume they are going to be faster than all bikes - whatever the road conditions.
I've also recently encountered it among drivers who see an L plate and automatically assume they "must" overtake any Learner driver - even when that Learner is right on the speed limit. - My son is learning to drive at the moment and I get to go out with him when he practising between lessons !

Morons, the lot of them !

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
it a variant on the "manners" debate.

It happens to all vehicles, although the larger they get the more tricky it becomes. Groups of road users all abide by an unwritten rule and get along just fine respecting each others space, until someone decides to ignore the equilibrium and push up to the front.

Happens in Tescos a bit.
Happens in Asda's a bit more.
Hardly ever happens in Waitrose.:whistle:

Maylian

Veteran
it a variant on the "manners" debate.

It happens to all vehicles, although the larger they get the more tricky it becomes. Groups of road users all abide by an unwritten rule and get along just fine respecting each others space, until someone decides to ignore the equilibrium and push up to the front.

Happens in Tescos a bit.
Happens in Asda's a bit more.
Hardly ever happens in Waitrose.:whistle:

I often enjoy a quick whistle at the person who tries to push infront of me at a supermarket, I just point to the back of the queue. They almost always look a little shame faced and sullen that they haven't got away with it. Waitrose and Sainsbury's just have a better quality of shopper since it only ever happens in Asda for me.

Top Bottom