Why do people like you stop in front of people like me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
the past few days have seen me sharing most of the route with one guy who thinks its a grand prix start from the lights ,by the time i move off and im clipped on hes already 10 yds ahead sprinting like a mad thing ,invariably once i get going i pass him and at the next set of lights he catches up and repeats the process ,,
he done this on fri and i asked him why ,his response "cos im faster than u"i just shook my head and said nothing

Sometimes I deliberately ride slow so I can get a lift. It works like this. Looking over your shoulder from time to time you spy a FABMAMIL busting a gut to catch you.
What's a FABMAMIL? Google has no idea (I know what a MAMIL is)

GrasB

Veteran
I can see the guys point. It can get annoying if the same people continuously filter in front of you and then pull away really slowly.
It happens to me regularly in London, however I don't go talking to people like that, we have to share the road and that includes with other cyclists, we should be happy that they are on bikes and not on the train, car or motorbike.
As I said earlier there are also ways to avoid the problem as well. There's no need to filter to the front of the line every time & personally I don't actually like leading out across a new green light; I'd much prefer the traffic stream altercation between 2 motor vehicles when an amber gambler gets it wrong.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As I said earlier there are also ways to avoid the problem as well. There's no need to filter to the front of the line every time & personally I don't actually like leading out across a new green light; I'd much prefer the traffic stream altercation between 2 motor vehicles when an amber gambler gets it wrong.
From a central London perspective, you will waist so much time if you don't attempt to filter near to the front.
Because the cars have no chance of getting in front of the cyclists before the next set of red traffic lights.

tadpole

You should turn Pro now.
I'm assuming that you doubt me. and that is your right,:headshake: as to turning pro, I'm knackered at the end of that. So unless the hold 9/14 mile road races with traffic lights where you can catch your breath I'll leave that to the rest of the armchair racers.

GrasB

Veteran
From a central London perspective, you will waist so much time if you don't attempt to filter near to the front.
Because the cars have no chance of getting in front of the cyclists before the next set of red traffic lights.
As I said 2 or 3 cars from the front. With my, very, limited London cycling experience. It seemed to work quite well & allowed me to consistently get past the bulk of the slow cyclists before dropping infront of them without the whole overtaking problem. That said there seemed to be far more bus lanes in london than I'm used to around here which means you're not having to kick hard past the cyclists.

I think it means fat and bald.
Cyclist can be cruel, I found out!
Thanks.

And now google has 1 search result for that: this thread!

Sara_H

Guru
Happens to me all the time, I ride helmetless in ordinary clothes with panniers and sometimes a basket, but I've been negotiating the hills of Sheffield for many years and I often pass lycra clad newbies!!!

MrSweary

Yes, people filtering in front of you at lights and then pulling away slowly can be annoying, especially if they do it continuously all the way along the Kings Road :angry: . However, console yourself with the thought that these unfortunate indiviuals have been raised without manners and no doubt go through life as if everything is a battle or a competition - hence they are invariably miserable, embittered types with low self esteem and no friends. Plus they probably smell of poo. Don't let them ruin your beautiful cycle.

Of course, if they give you verbals the only option is to give them the hairdryer treatment with as much obscure and disgusting language as you can muster. If delivered at pace
I find one can quite often shock the verbal abuser into silence.

Yours, MrSweary

stephen.rooke

i dont usually dress in cycling gear have cycling shorts under some tracksuit bottoms, always have people thinking there good trying to get past. i just put the power on and out run them :biggrin: same with car drivers in traffic lol

defy-one

I'm usually wearing trousers with a shirt,no helmet. Clips to keep the trousers off the chain.Rack & pannier.
Love dropping the urban warriors with there shorts,mtb & hump sacks!!!

stephen.rooke

was on the cycle path near my house the other day taking my sister for a ride so going around 10mph, 2 guys went past laughing at my speed. came up to a strava segment so i blew past them and took kom, oh the joys of cycling

Top Bottom