Why do people like you stop in front of people like me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
There are certain sections of my ride through a busy city where I am averaging 25 mph. Scouts honor.

Crankarm

Guru
There are certain sections of my ride through a busy city where I am averaging 25 mph. Scouts honor.

:laugh: . So you have stated that you average 25mph riding in a busy city where you have all sorts of road users and traffic signals to negotiate .............. on a hybrid bike. I don't believe you, this is b******s.

Most good club riders can just about average 22-24mph. Your claim of 25mph is frankly fanciful.

tadpole

:laugh: . So you have stated that you average 25mph riding in a busy city where you have all sorts of road users and traffic signals to negotiate .............. on a hybrid bike. I don't believe you, this is b******s.

Most good club riders can just about average 22-24mph. Your claim of 25mph is frankly fanciful.
Ok so what is, in you opinion, a realistic speed for say a 9.2 mile cycle rural to urban to city ride?

tadpole

http://app.strava.com/rides/19162485

16.877mph
And that was not one of my better rides (need to apply rule#5)
you can also see I've been caught on 5 of the 6 sets of lights.

Edit Ok so maybe you can't see where I was caught on the lights.

jim55

Guru
Right il post a picture of the strava app , note the diff between top speed ( which is what I'm sure folk are quoting their ave as ) and the actual average ( stopping at lights / getting going again/ gen road commuting£

This is my commute to work through Glasgow and as u can see I wasn't hanging about ( by no means fast but a few wee downhill sections )
8f7726bc.jpg

It's one iv posted before but it illustrates what iv said

Cyclopathic

Veteran

I would draw your attention to the first part of my claim which states "There are certain sections..." They are in fact very specific sections and very short sections and very down hill sections. My claim is entirely factually correct and truthful. However for a more honest appraisal of my overall average speed around town you could probably change the mph for kph and then knock a few off that for good measure.
I make no apologies for my claim as it was meant to deceive. I laid my cunning little trap and you fell right in to it...mwhahahaha.

Crankarm

Guru
Don't listen to the haters out there...I believe you.

It's not an average if you only choose to consider your fastest speed .............. :rolleyes:.

To AVERAGE 30mph riding a bicycle you pretty much have to be doing a time trial with few obstacles to slow you down. I suppose you could do it around town if you hung onto the back of a bus but then a bus keeps stopping .............:laugh:

Top Bottom