Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
But the drivers did see this cyclist, did move out to pass and there is no report of blaring horns or close passes, so sounds like the driving was mostly pretty good.

Left of the white line is off the carriageway and simply asking for close passes. If you don't know the road, then you don't know that the verge is going to be cycleable, even if you wanted to use it. Much safer on the road where you belong. Calling the cyclist a 'tool' says more about your lack of judgement than anything.

Completely agree.

Left of the white line (if it was solid) isn't actually cycling on the carriageway. It's so that cars don't cut up the side of the road.

For all we know the cyclist could have been lost, could have been on a charity LEJOG or whatever.

I wouldn't choose to cycle on such roads, but it sounds like he was in the right place - got cars to avoid him.

Kookas

Über Member
A small minority of cyclists are peanuts, just like a small minority of drivers are. I was coming to work the other day driving along a busy short section of dual carriageway where people speed often in excess of 85mph. It was pitch black and all the cars were moving into the second lane to overtake something moving very slowly. When I got close it was a cyclist obviously touring with panniers and a crap back light where the battery was obviously just about flat. He was about 2 feet out to the right of the verge white line, as though to say I'm a cyclist f*** you. If he or she was from around here they would not ride that way on such a dodgy road where everybody speeds. The other left side of the verge white line has a good 2.5 feet or so of excellent road surface not full of crap either. I always try to avoid that section of road, but if I am on it I will always go to the left of the verge line as it is not a cycle lane but it is perfectly smooth and very little debris on it, plus I value my life. Every other cyclist that I see on this busy road does exactly the same, but there is always 1 tool I guess. Still it is legal I guess the way the cyclist was riding, doesn't make it right.

I think you must've followed the wrong link on Google. Don't worry, here you go:
http://www.audiforums.com/

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think you must've followed the wrong link on Google. Don't worry, here you go:
http://www.audiforums.com/
My boss like cycling. He cycle commutes in the summer months. I've been on touring holidays with him. He often gives me a lift to work by car in the winter as he drives right past my front door and is keen on me saving £15 a day rail fare and not getting run over again in the dark.

He drives an Audi A4. And he drives it just like any Audi driver, except when near fellow-cyclists.

Kookas

Über Member
My boss like cycling. He cycle commutes in the summer months. I've been on touring holidays with him. He often gives me a lift to work by car in the winter as he drives right past my front door and is keen on me saving £15 a day rail fare and not getting run over again in the dark.

He drives an Audi A4. And he drives it just like any Audi driver, except when near fellow-cyclists.
It was tongue in cheek.

OP
OP
Dmcd33

Dmcd33

If someone looks like they won't slow down, by all means take evasive action - in fact, that's part of defensive cycling. The vast majority will slow, and really, no single road position will protect you from the Rambo drivers you seem to describe anyway.
I like the 'Rambo' Term. I'm gonna use it now. Briliant description!

OP
OP
Dmcd33

Dmcd33

I'm new to the cycling game but have always given cyclists plenty of room when passing. However when I see what happened yesterday makes me think that not all cyclists are angels.

I was stopped at a red light at a large crossroads when someone on a road bike, no helmet but that's his choice decided to come up the inside of the line of traffic and carry on through the red without slowing.
It was on the quick reaction of the driver coming through the green light that prevented an accident.
Things like this unfortunately means that some drivers will treat cyclists badly.
We can all roll off lots of anecdotes, which to me shows that there is more of an emphasis on cyclists behaviour (yes he sounds like a nobber) than drivers. I regularly see people driving through reds in London, because they are too busy on their phones. One guy last week drove through (jumping out of the way) pedestrians because his phone call/facebook was more important. Other common occurances include; No indicators, using indicators one millisecond before turning, tailgating, undertaking at 40mph in 30 zone, speeding generally, using mobile phones etc..... (I could come up with about 100 I recon)

I also drive and would say I have more problems in my car than on my bike with other drivers. But i'm safer and can't be bullied in my Volvo estate. My Giant defy is not so robust.

On a positive note. I have had about 2-3 scary incidents in about 2-3yrs of commuting 16 miles a day in my current job. Two of which were bulling motrists who tried to drive me out of the way. They both ended up at a red light 5 seconds later and I made a point of saying that to them (no shouting involved) They could have seriously hurt me for very little reason.

Mike!

Guru
I for one don't like the "Cyclist", "Car Driver", "Bus Driver" "Lorry Driver", "Pedestrian" tags (I can be any one of those 4 at anytime)

If we all recognized that we are "People" that just happen to be using different modes of transport for leisure / work or whatever then things would be so much better, however that's never gonna happen - There are idiots in all modes of transport (such as the story below), I suspect there maybe more to it that has been reported but......

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/c...d_him_unconscious_over_road_dispute_1_3284207

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I for one don't like the "Cyclist", "Car Driver", "Bus Driver" "Lorry Driver", "Pedestrian" tags (I can be any one of those 4 at anytime)

If we all recognized that we are "People"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2912263, member: 1314"]In London the motorised vehicles (with exception of motorbikes) slow down the cyclists. I do 15 miles in 1 hour 20 mins in rush hour. Outside rush hour I do the same route in 1 hour 5 mins. I mean, Tooting Broadway at 6pm! Most of these vehicles are single occupancy. Drivers of motorised vehicles need to pull over and let the cyclists through where the CS is not adequate. innit.

In London (I do very little cycling outside the Smoke) I'm in charge of the road space around me, from Zones 1-6. Drivers can wait a few nanos or even 30 secs, before they hit the next set of reds.[/quote]
Punitive road charging needs to be introduced for single-occupancy private car use. But it ain't gonna happen....

At the end of 2012 there were 34.5 million vehicles licensed for use on the roads in Great Britain, of which 28.7 million (83 per cent) were cars. And 46,107,152 entries on the Parliamentary electoral register.

Linford

The driver in a single-occupancy car is in the same road position as a cyclist in primary, and causing the same level of congestion, it's just that the space on the left is full of car.

That is all well and done, but for all you know, this person may have travelled from Oxford, or Cambridge...you live your life in the bubble, and clearly don't consider that people may actually have a different commuting distance to you...which is beyond the practicality of cycling.

snorri

Legendary Member
The driver in a single-occupancy car is in the same road position as a cyclist in primary, and causing the same level of congestion, it's just that the space on the left is full of car.
At least the single occupancy car is carrying someone somewhere, unlike the unoccupied car parked on road or pavement, or both, causing an obstruction to travellers for as long as the owner has no wish to travel anyhwere.:sad:

Linford

At least the single occupancy car is carrying someone somewhere, unlike the unoccupied car parked on road or pavement, or both, causing an obstruction to travellers for as long as the owner has no wish to travel anyhwere.:sad:

You are having a laugh..tell me you are not actually being serious when you posted this..please ?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You are having a laugh..tell me you are not actually being serious when you posted this..please ?
I gather you haven't seen the kind of parking we get over here. Streets double-lined with parked cars leaving space for only one vehicle to travel in one direction at a time. They pose a significant hazard to cyclists, reduced visibility for everyone (the UK is particularly good at KSI-ing children) and, to top it all, bollards, parking meters and most road signage all litter the pavements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom