Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

2912775 said:
You are missing the underlying, and unthinking, assumption that the car has to be left somewhere.

You are forgetting that motor vehciles are required to pay VED to use that space..
As a cyclist, I (and you) pay nothing specifically towards the road network in terms of requiring or being a licensed vehicle user, and get free places to park it in the centre of towns..what is not to like...Doth think one protests too much....

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Imagine the response if I posted that pic on a Disability access forum. The point I'm attempting to make is there are good and bad in all modes....all I see is car hating vitriol posted on a forum which has the tag line a fun and friendly cycling community. People bang on about how much hatred JC has for anything other than car users...but I see just as much prejudice from a few in this thread....this will of course fall on deaf ears...Pot and Kettle spring to mind !

Cyclists generally not overly keen on cars on cycle forum shock!

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
You are forgetting that motor vehciles are required to pay VED to use that space..
As a cyclist, I (and you) pay nothing specifically towards the road network in terms of requiring or being a licensed vehicle user, and get free places to park it in the centre of towns..what is not to like...Doth think one protests too much....

That will be why the lazy feckers that live near me park in the road rather than in their garages and parking spaces, I guess they're getting their money's worth... As for paying towards the road network, I already pay enough, but I'll happily pay more when I damage the roads and pollute the air as much as a car.

benb

Evidence based cyclist

Looks like you need to do some homework, as you have misunderstood VED and road funding.

Linford

That will be why the lazy feckers that live near me park in the road rather than in their garages and parking spaces, I guess they're getting their money's worth... As for paying towards the road network, I already pay enough, but I'll happily pay more when I damage the roads and pollute the air as much as a car.

The roads do not repair themselves when the frost gets into them and destroys the surface , or they start to subside.
VED is a license to use the amenity...not for the damage which a specific vehicle does...or else lorries would be paying nearly £1,000,000k PA to use the roads (if the report that a single pass by a l44 tonne lorry or bus causes as much damage as 40,000 cars is correct).
Why should car users have to pay for the pollution caused in city centres by buses and delivery vehicles pumping out fine particulates of soot ?

snorri

Legendary Member
:whistle:
Oh! You are a jester Linf:biggrin::biggrin:

Linford

Cyclists generally not overly keen on cars on cycle forum shock!

I'll wager that the very vast majority of members here have a car in their household...and have regular access to the benefits it brings.
I see people posting on biker forums calling cars 'cages'....well most of them also have a car in the household also.

Do you go and have a rant at your parents or siblings every time you see them for owning a car ?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'll wager that the very vast majority of members here have a car in their household...and have regular access to the benefits it brings.

I suspect lot of folk on here simply don't see cars as essential statements of social status, unlike an awful lot of drivers. On the thankfully very rare occasions when I drive for example, the car is purely a means to an end to get from a to b, albeit in a rather unpleasant and anti-social way. I couldn't give a toss what make it is.

The sooner we get over this reverential fixation with bloody cars as extensions of our personality and personal space, as well as our dependancy on them with the faux sense of entitlement to public space that comes with it, then that's got to be better for everyone. That's something even the most bone- headed of petrol heads ought to be able to recognise though I'm not holding my breath!

Linford

I suspect lot of folk on here simply don't see cars as essential statements of social status, unlike an awful lot of drivers. On the thankfully very rare occasions when I drive for example, the car is purely a means to an end to get from a to b, albeit in a rather unpleasant and anti-social way. I couldn't give a toss what make it is.

The sooner we get over this reverential fixation with bloody cars as extensions of our personality and personal space, as well as our dependancy on them with the faux sense of entitlement to public space that comes with it, then that's got to be better for everyone. That's something even the most bone- headed of petrol heads ought to be able to recognise though I'm not holding my breath!

If I felt the need to throw money at a rapidly depreciating asset, it would be a brand new motorbike every couple of years, and not a car which are all without exception money pits when in the first 10 years of their lives.

So do you pay for the upkeep of the vehicle,and if you despise it so, why go to the expense and mental anguish,
You could get your groceries delivered by the supermarkets and cycle everywhere instead ?

Tin Pot

Guru

How the fark is any of that relevant to Linfords post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom