Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dmcd33

I seem to be having conversations with so many people recently that start off something like "Oh, you cycle. You must be really fit. Your not one of those lycra louts are you?" or "my wife hates cyclists" or "they go to fast/slow etc....". You know the the rest....

The conversation tends to start well, but then decends into lots of annecdotes about red light jumpers and "them" taking up all the road etc...

I have found it emmotionally draining trying to have a rational discussion about it at times and was wondering if it was just me? It is nearly always a non-cylist though on further thought.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
A chap at our church is an 'anti' and seems to always want to come and find us for a rant. I have pointed out that road tax does not exist and that the car is not the be all and end all of life. He calls cyclists 'cockroaches' and says that its his mission to do close passes and scare cyclists off the road. I suggested that was not a terribly Christian attitude and had he not got to the bits in the bible that talk about tolerance.

He has nearly had us off a couple of times when leaving church. His rants though can be heard clear across the coffee room.

snorri

Legendary Member
I suggested that was not a terribly Christian attitude and had he not got to the bits in the bible that talk about tolerance.
He has nearly had us off a couple of times when leaving church.

Tolerance is a virtue, but you can be too tolerant for your own good. This guy needs to be reported to the police before he kills someone, it could be you.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Tolerance is a virtue, but you can be too tolerant for your own good. This guy needs to be reported to the police before he kills someone, it could be you.
Good point. I might well get his reg number and make a little phone call. We have taken to leaving after him now.
His wife just rolls her eyes and makes 'here we go again' faces behind his back, when he starts, so we have wondered if its mostly bluff and bluster and he's passed us close to make a point.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I seem to be having conversations with so many people recently that start off something like "Oh, you cycle. You must be really fit. Your not one of those lycra louts are you?" or "my wife hates cyclists" or "they go to fast/slow etc....". You know the the rest....

The conversation tends to start well, but then decends into lots of annecdotes about red light jumpers and "them" taking up all the road etc...

I have found it emmotionally draining trying to have a rational discussion about it at times and was wondering if it was just me? It is nearly always a non-cylist though on further thought.

I find most non cyclists are pretty intolerant. I point out that I'm not intolerant of a car driver, as I am also one too.
I then ask if they cycle....when they say no, I ask them to give it a go and get back to me :biggrin:

Bladeboy

Regular
I will be honest and used to hate cyclists riding side by side, that was before I started cycling few months ago, and can still see why that annoys non cyclists.
Have had a few close passes and always have to let them know what I think! As for the guy at church say a couple of Hail Marys then jaw him lol

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Ignorance is the word. People who didn't cycle when they were kids/teens and didn't go out onto the roads and mix with traffic, will never get it I'm afraid. I cycled as a kid and used MTB on the roads to get to the lumps around 17-years ago. Started riding a road bike recently and can tell the difference between the motorists who di and those that didn't.

I can see it from both sides of the fence as i've been a professional driver for more years than I care to remember. I've driven articulated trucks, coaches, buses and sports cars. I can anticipate what a motorist is going to do or should do, just like when driving I can anticipate what the cyclist is going to do or should do.

Ignorance is bliss as they say, but can also be painful and expensive.

OP
OP
Dmcd33

Dmcd33

It's the friendly start and then list of anecdotal events that at worst are; Slowing them down on country lanes or the guy they saw jump a red light and nearly knock them over 6 months ago (I have seen cars do this on my commute numerous times, one even ran over a childs foot a few weeks ago etc....)

I agree that the red light jumping and cycling two abrest are big issues, but why are "we" all guilty?

I drive as well and could come up with a 100 anecdotes of badly behaved drivers, but don't because the vast majority I pass are polite and considerate.

It's the hatred based on very little that I don't get. We don't put their lives in danger is what I mean.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
This. We need to stop indulging it. I plan to draw up some guidelines...
Heres a couple of guidelines Keep your thumb closed on your index finger and curl your fingers in tightly to minimise damage to your hands when you chin the tw&t.

Re the prat at Saluki,s church maybe you could get the priest/ vicar to try and talk sense to him first but if he continues deliberate close passes I would at least inform the police so if he misjudges it and hits someone there is history about the tosser on record.

jay clock

Massive member
A chap at our church is an 'anti' and seems to always want to come and find us for a rant. I have pointed out that road tax does not exist and that the car is not the be all and end all of life. He calls cyclists 'cockroaches' and says that its his mission to do close passes and scare cyclists off the road. I suggested that was not a terribly Christian attitude and had he not got to the bits in the bible that talk about tolerance.

He has nearly had us off a couple of times when leaving church. His rants though can be heard clear across the coffee room.
tell him to f**k off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom