Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Is car parking a significant safety hazard? You can see them can't you? So move out and go round them, just in the same way that the vast majority of car drivers manage to do for cyclists.
Yes, it is. Each parked car is effectively a pinch point in the carriageway, except that more often than not it's the cyclists who have to divert themselves into the middle of the remaining space to prevent being squeezed. And when residential streets are parked on both sides, leaving little more than a car's width and you meet an oncoming car, it isn't the car that will give way or risk their wing mirrors against a stationary car's, it's the bike. They take the left, they take the right and, hey, there's not enough room to share the rest of the road. And there would be no problem with getting hit in door zones if there weren't any cars with doors there.

Linford

Yes, it is. Each parked car is effectively a pinch point in the carriageway, except that more often than not it's the cyclists who have to divert themselves into the middle of the remaining space to prevent being squeezed. And when residential streets are parked on both sides, leaving little more than a car's width and you meet an oncoming car, it isn't the car that will give way or risk their wing mirrors against a stationary car's, it's the bike. They take the left, they take the right and, hey, there's not enough room to share the rest of the road. And there would be no problem with getting hit in door zones if there weren't any cars with doors there.

So what you are saying is that it is the car owning residents fault (or in other words virtually everyone living in that road) that you feel bullied by cars being driven the other way ?

You might look at it the other way that they as residents don't want strangers using their roads with various types of vehicle (cycles/cars etc) as a rat run/cut through there....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
At least the single occupancy car is carrying someone somewhere, unlike the unoccupied car parked on road or pavement, or both, causing an obstruction to travellers for as long as the owner has no wish to travel anyhwere.:sad:
Imagine if, on getting up in the morning, I moved my bed to the roadside and left it there "parked" until I came home at night. Or my TV, or sofa, or washing machine. What is it about a car, just another chattel, that is so special that we make provision for them to be left littering the place?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
So what you are saying is that it is the car owning residents fault (or in other words virtually everyone living in that road) that you feel bullied by cars being driven the other way ?

You might look at it the other way that they as residents don't want strangers using their roads with various types of vehicle (cycles/cars etc) as a rat run/cut through there....
Not ''feel'' bullied - there's no reason to insult me by treating me like a inexperienced over-sensitive cyclist. And the car behind is more dangerous anyway.

If they don't want through traffic they should get on to the council not create a sclerosed environment of vision-blocking street litter that they wouldn't dare let their children play on.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
If I felt the need to throw money at a rapidly depreciating asset, it would be a brand new motorbike every couple of years, and not a car which are all without exception money pits when in the first 10 years of their lives.

So do you pay for the upkeep of the vehicle,and if you despise it so, why go to the expense and mental anguish,
You could get your groceries delivered by the supermarkets and cycle everywhere instead ?

Try re- reading what I wrote then have another go. it really can't be that hard,

400bhp

Guru
Yes!! my point. You literally cannot walk aloong one side of that road with a pram. I've tried.:cursing:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Here's a typical example of pavement parking round here. I could have picked almost any street.

It isn't safe and it is antisocial. Stuff like this makes people think twice about walking.

I don't blame any of the owners, but we have got to think harder about this.
and that's from someone who loves cars no?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
2913666 said:
If you are ready with them, that would be handy.

They're in development. But one available strategy that I've recently found gratifying is to start saying the sort of things to drivers that drivers typically say to us, only well before they get into their stride. As soon as you see the first sign of it coming on, go on the offensive. Get to the bar, order your drink while they're warming up with a few snide comments about your lycra, and then launch into a rant about how many cars with entirely grey bodywork you saw on the way home, driven by people who weren't even wearing helmets. Do these f**king idiots have a death wish, or what? Seriously - I don't hate drivers or anything but these muppets give you guys a bad name. Driving is all well and good, and everything, but you really shouldn't be allowed on the roads at rush hour when people are trying to get to work. Obviously it's not necessary to wait for a reply - just take your pint and sit down somewhere else.

Linford

[QUOTE 2913558, member: 45"]How many times have you seen a tricycle blocking a pavement?[/quote]

Perhaps you might ask the question...how often when it is ridden out is it left like that when they decide to nip into a shop....i'd wager fairly often.

How often do I see people dumping their bikes on the pavements blocking shop doorways...far too often Paul :sad:

Don't worry, I'd have a proper moan if I saw cars parked inconsiderately and obstructing shop doorways as well...I'll be sure to let you know if I ever see that.
You seem to see it as some sort of a God given right to do this with a cycle...because it is a cycle (correct me if I'm wrong)....unfortunately, pedestrians see it as another example of people on bikes sticking two fingers up to others around them.

400bhp

Guru
Perhaps you might ask the question...how often when it is ridden out is it left like that when they decide to nip into a shop....i'd wager fairly often.

How often do I see people dumping their bikes on the pavements blocking shop doorways...far too often Paul :sad:

Don't worry, I'd have a proper moan if I saw cars parked inconsiderately and obstructing shop doorways as well...I'll be sure to let you know if I ever see that.
You seem to see it as some sort of a God given right to do this with a cycle...because it is a cycle (correct me if I'm wrong)....unfortunately, pedestrians see it as another example of people on bikes sticking two fingers up to others around them.

Really? What an odd place you live in.

Do bicycles weigh so much or are in such a way that prevent you from moving them?

Are you using cycles left in door fronts as a counter argument for cars parking on pavements? Seriously.:wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom