Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

And you do seem to take that little fishy bite every time

Do you buy into all this UK highways = war zone thing ?

Is it OK to condemn the actions of irresponsible and ignorant car users, but not when I see cyclist behaving badly ?

This isn't trolling...it is about responsbile cyclists treating others as equals on the roads, and not taking a childish POV that cars have no rightful place on the roads...for the reasons stated up thread...like 'they get in my way when parked'

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2914184, member: 45"]You're wrong, so I'll take up your offer and correct you.

I'll ask you another - how many tricycles have you ever seen?

And to answer yours, I can't remember the last time I came across a bike lying on a pavement. And if I had I'd have moved it.[/quote]
Next door to our new offices there is a tricycle parked in a car parking space every working day. I intend to shake the rider by the hand.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2914347, member: 1314"]Disclaimer:
I accept no liability for the content of this photo, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. If you intend to take the action illustrated in the photo it cannot be said that I am responsible. Such light-hearted damage to tin boxes on wheels is an invasion of a person’s most innermost soul. innit

View attachment 37631 [/quote]
As a tactic it has its merits but the execution illustrated on the card is a tough one. Much easier to rip-off a door mirror when passing from behind ime. As shown on the card the darned things just fold up and are almost impossible to grab. Best method is downward sharp punch making contact with the outside edge of the fist.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2914461, member: 1314"]Dania Ramirez :wub: shows how it should be done. About time cyclists stopped being passive victims of bullies. We’re in charge innit

View attachment 37635 [/quote]
She was in Premium Rush. I LOVE that filum. Especially the outtakes at the end.

Linford

They weren't who I was talking about. Nor was anyone else, individually speaking.

Although, is Linford a cyclist? He might contribute individually :tongue:

Yes I am..

Linford

[QUOTE 2914715, member: 1314"]I'm still buying that chain and padlock.[/quote]

I rode my motorbike 30 years ago with a chain and padlock around my waist...it chipped a load of paint off the back of the petrol tank.

Considera Hiplock...it will do less damage to the bike.

oldstrath

Über Member
Do you buy into all this UK highways = war zone thing ?

Is it OK to condemn the actions of irresponsible and ignorant car users, but not when I see cyclist behaving badly ?

This isn't trolling...it is about responsbile cyclists treating others as equals on the roads, and not taking a childish POV that cars have no rightful place on the roads...for the reasons stated up thread...like 'they get in my way when parked'
How about they have no place on the road because:
They contribute substantially to air pollution and climate change
They impose significant costs in road building and maintenance
The accidents they cause impose significant health service costs
The casual aggression shown by many drivers dissuades people from cycling and walking, contributing to ill health and further health service costs

Linford

How about they have no place on the road because:
They contribute substantially to air pollution and climate change
They impose significant costs in road building and maintenance
The accidents they cause impose significant health service costs
The casual aggression shown by many drivers dissuades people from cycling and walking, contributing to ill health and further health service costs

Pollution and climate change are a red herring....lets just leave it at that

The treasury gets roughly £30 billion in fuel duty and VED off motorists..the budget spent on the roads is roughly 1/3rd of that

You are blaming ALL accidents in the roads to 'car' drivers...what was the percentage of cyclists killed by HGV's in London in the last few years ? - CLUE

If you are referring to London....take a look up thread at the proposal to remove car wing mirrors...and then come back and state it is all one sided.also.the white Audi vid last week is case in point..the car was impatient at the lights and shouldn't have crept forward, but the cyclists chased it down to vent his spleen. Don't confuse impatience with aggression....

Sure there are plenty of people in cars I''d happily give a shoeing too for being idiots on the roads...but there are equally many people cycling who do daft stuff..

oldstrath

Über Member
Pollution and climate change are a red herring....lets just leave it at that

The treasury gets roughly £30 billion in fuel duty and VED off motorists..the budget spent on the roads is roughly 1/3rd of that

You are blaming ALL accidents in the roads to 'car' drivers...what was the percentage of cyclists killed by HGV's in London in the last few years ? - CLUE

If you are referring to London....take a look up thread at the proposal to remove car wing mirrors...and then come back and state it is all one sided.also.the white Audi vid last week is case in point..the car was impatient at the lights and shouldn't have crept forward, but the cyclists chased it down to vent his spleen. Don't confuse impatience with aggression....

Sure there are plenty of people in cars I''d happily give a shoeing too for being idiots on the roads...but there are equally many people cycling who do daft stuff..
You think air pollution doesn't exist. Oh gods, I give up.

And all the other costs? Don't tell me, more red herrings.

Not all accidents, but plenty.

No, I don't mean London. I last cycled in London 30 years ago. I mean everywhere, even in Highland Scotland. I had two examples on Monday, one a woman in a fiesta, overtaking at 60, close enough to touch. No clue why - she had a clear road and lots of room. Second bullied his way past, then travelled all of 50 yards. Pure bullying because he could. When challenged he told me to feck off out of his way in future. Impatience or aggression? Same thing, especially when yiu arm yourself with a deadly weapon.

As for greeting about wing mirror removal. It's a wing mirror. It can be fixed. Some twunt bullies past and I make a mistake I die. Not even close to the same.

sazzaa

Please don't feed the troll @oldstrath, you won't get anywhere. In fact we should all tiptoe out of this thread now, and leave Linf and sazzaa to chat to each other, as they obviously have an awful lot in common :wub:.

Couldn't resist it eh! It's ok, I find it quite funny, in a nice way x

The car wasn't impatient. Cars are inanimate objects.

The driver committed a TS10 offence and put cyclists in danger, your attempted defence of the kind of behaviour that killed Deep Lee confirms you don't care if cyclists get killed, the same as the person who agrees with you who thinks jokes about running cyclists over are funny but whines and snivels if she sees a wing mirror get damaged. Wing mirrors are more important than cyclists to that creature.

Private motoring receives enormous subsidies:

The perennial complaint from drivers that they are excessively taxed has been challenged by a study which concludes that road accidents, pollution and noise connected to cars costs every EU citizen more than £600 a year.

The report by transport academics at the Dresden Technical University in Germany calculated that even with drivers' insurance contributions discounted these factors amounted to an annual total of €373bn (£303bn) across the 27 EU member states, or around 3% of the bloc's entire yearly GDP. This breaks down as €750 per man, woman and child.

The report recommends that such so-called externalities be factored into the cost of driving, noting that even the €373bn tally does not include costs from congestion or ill health caused by lack of exercise.

The idea that drivers are "the cash cows of our society" is wrong, the authors write: "On the contrary, it must be stated that car traffic in the EU is highly subsidised by other people and other regions and will be by future generations: residents along an arterial road, taxpayers, elderly people who do not own cars, neighbouring countries, and children, grandchildren and all future generations subsidise today's traffic."

The study, The True Costs of Automobility, accepts that such calculations necessarily have an element of approximation but give an important overall picture. In a national breakdown it says UK drivers acconted for £48bn of costs, second only to Germany, or about £815 per person per year.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/dec/25/car-pollution-noise-accidents-eu?INTCMP=SRCH

Motorists are freeloaders.

VED revenue in 2004/2005, for example, was £4.7bn (Table 7.15 in DfT 2006, 129) whilst total expenditure on road building and maintenance in England alone in the same period was £6bn (Table 7.13 in DfT 2006, 128). Clearly road maintenance is therefore being subsidised by other forms of taxation in addition to VED, and any driver who argues for a direct link between road use and expenditure is in effect calling for a higher level of road tax.

And that's before you even start counting the cost of accidents on the roads (£18bn per year (DfT 2004, 5)

Congestion: £30bn by 2010 (Goodwin 2004, 2)

n 1998 it was calculated that between 12,000 and 24,000 deaths may be may "brought forward" each year in the UK as a result of air pollution, and that between 14,000 and 24,000 hospital admissions annually result from poor air quality (COMEAP 1998), to which road transport is by far the largest single contributor (FoE 1999, 1),

In this light, and without even factoring in the less easily established costs of damage to wildlife, noise pollution, contribution to climate change, and end-of-life disposal of motor vehicles, it is already clear that motorists do not currently pay anything like the full cost of motoring.

Everytime you see a motor vehicle you are seeing a parasite.

http://www.jake-v.co.uk/content/54.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom