brommieinkorea
Über Member
- Location
- 'Merica darnit
More hyperbole conveniently selected to fit a loaded narrative. My waxing consumables cost about £20 and of that I've probably used less than half by value (half the wax, a fraction of the moly powder which forms the bulk of the cost and isn't a necessity). So let's say £10's worth of consumables over 20k mile's worth of waxing is 0.05p/mile.
Assume a mean oiled chain life of 3k miles and a conservative 4k on wax, at £15/chain you're spending 0.5p/mile with oil and 0.375p with wax so the cost of waxing consumables is repaid by a factor of 2.5 in extended chain life. That's before you factor in the greater service life of other drivetrain components and cost of the oil.
The problem you conveniently cite is one of over-priced, over-marked industry-specific products; which is a cycling-wide issue and not a legitimate criticism of waxing in isolation.
I think maybe he was talking about the time involved in rewaxing a chain vs just replacing it more often.
My experience with waxing is that the UK is the last place I'd use it, it just rains too much.