Why do we accept tubeless, but not waxed chains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I would expect a speed reading somewhat more accurate than that.
Based purely on the fact I ride that section of road every time I go out!!
 

AlanW

Legendary Member
Location
Not to sure?
To add, l use the Silca Hot wax system, l add two Silca Endurance chips to my hot wax which serves two purposes:-
1) it makes the chain more resilient to water ingress.
2) increases the duration in which you have to rewax the chain.

There is apparently a small increase in the drag of the chain, but in all honestly l've never noticed.

It does also take longer for the chain to "bed in", circa 50+ miles before it all runs and sounds smooth.

But l typically go 300+ miles bewteen having to rewax.
 

AlanW

Legendary Member
Location
Not to sure?
Do you only run one chain?

Yes, but l know that some people like to run two or three chains and each to their own but l can keep track on one chain much better.

I switch on the Silca Hot pot when l start to clean my bike, remove the chain.
Wax melts while l cleaning the chain, wax chain, dry bike, refit chain....simplest really.

I get how some may class that as "faff",
but you have pristine running gear and extended chain life, for me, thats worth the "faff".
 

Jameshow

Guru
I ride circa 18k miles per year, and have been tubeless and hot waxed chains for the previous two years. Which I think is a decent enough test period!

All I will say is, no way would I every go back to tubes or any other means of chain lubrication other than hot waxing.

I ride 180 miles a year and I don't seem to have the issues you do!🤣🤣🤣
 
Eh, 300 miles is less than once every 1.5 weeks for me. I would call that frequent for messing about with the chain. I am on the bike 6 days a week most weeks. Maybe that means not much riding to you.

I wasn't referring to you.
I was referring to people who are willign to re hot wax every 300 miles, which as you rightly point out would be at least every 10 days for some of us.

As I keep saying, you do not need to re-hot wax anywhere near that frequently, so my logic is that those who do re-wax every 300 miles don't ride a lot.
 

scotsbikester

Über Member
Yes, but l know that some people like to run two or three chains and each to their own but l can keep track on one chain much better.

I switch on the Silca Hot pot when l start to clean my bike, remove the chain.
Wax melts while l cleaning the chain, wax chain, dry bike, refit chain....simplest really.

I get how some may class that as "faff",
but you have pristine running gear and extended chain life, for me, thats worth the "faff".
Sure, I understand. I wasn't being in any way critical. I've just started immersive waxing, and the cleanliness is fantastic. It's pretty much the main reason I'm doing it. It was great to go out for a ride the other day in normal (looking) clothes, and then spend the rest of the day wearing those same clothes.

I bought one chain to try waxing. It took one ride to confirm it was the right thing. Well, that and one running-my-hand-along-the-chain. After that I knew I was going to go "all in", so bought another two chains. All three have had the same initial clean up, and now I'm running them in rotation. So a "big wax", use all three, then do the big wax again.

I find removing the chain, the rewax once in a while, actually easier than the oil business. Certainly crouching down over my bike at my advanced years was becoming a bit of a (literal) pain. So nice just to come home, park the bike and, well, not do anything else.

It's interesting, and a little sad in a way, that you've almost had to deflect the negative comments that you might imagine coming your way. With your defense against accusations of "faff". It's a poor reflection of the attitude of some of the posters here and their arrogant assertion that their way of doing things is the right way and anybody else's is stupid, wrong, or a waste of time or money. Even though they have no experience of the alternatives. I'm sick of it. I don't read most of their comments, as once somebody has demonstrated their character, I just put them on the "ignore" list, which I am stringent about sticking to (I try to not read the forum without logging on, which hides the comments from the great ignored).

But that attitude lowers the usefulness of the forum. Now that I've got a clean drivetrain, I've just spent a little money on cycle specific "casual" clothing. I thought I might leave reviews, as they might help other people, especially as the sizing of one brand was very strange. But I won't bother. Because all I'm going to get is the usual - "why do you need that, I ride 30,000 miles a year in nothing except a pair of old bin bags"
 
Last edited:

scotsbikester

Über Member
Here's a faff-reducer. Makes removing/installing the quick link a little easier, at least for me.

IMG_7356.JPG
 
Top Bottom