why do we tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
This guy summed up cycle touring for me perfectly. what does everyone else think?

"For me, touring is quite simply the best way to see and experience a place that you might otherwise never visit. It lets me travel at a pace that allows me to see just about everything, it lets me experience the weather, the people and all the other things that make a place what it is. However, there's more to it than that. It's also an escape from the rat race, a chance to be alone with my thoughts, a chance to make my own decisions, and a chance to really listen to myself. It's freedom, the freedom to think for myself, and to act upon it, knowing that I live with the consequences of my own actions and nobody else's. That's not to say that every minute is wonderful, but at least I have control over my destiny, and can deal with the bad in whatever way I see fit.

Let's face it, most of us spend the majority of our lives doing what other people tell us to do. We have to follow instructions at work for 8-9 hours a day (sometimes more). We come home and slip into the same rhythm, doing largely the same chores, hearing the same messages in Internet/TV/radio/newspaper advertising, telling us all how we "should" live our lives. They try to tell us what to buy, what to believe, and what to think of anyone who dares to be different. I see touring as a means of escaping all of this. It's a rare opportunity to listen to myself. Life changing? Perhaps not in a really obvious way, but it is an opportunity to think about things that we probably wouldn't find the time to think about otherwise."

source

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=3Tzut&page_id=65745&v=5

Spot on!

If I could, I would tour indefinitely, 80-100 miles a day (finess and health, and finances, permitting) for the rest of my life, with, of course, a rest day when I could choose. :angry:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
From a practical point of view, you cover more ground than be walking and experience very nearly as much detail. You cover less ground than by car and experience a thousandfold more.

From a spiritual point of view, there is something liberating about setting off in the morning and only knowing to the nearest 20 km where you will be sleeping that night.

snorri

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
t setting off in the morning and only knowing to the nearest 20 km where you will be sleeping that night.

Unless of course you are one of these rather strange (in my view:biggrin:) people who actually plan their tours.:sad:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm one of those strange people :sad: For me, the planning is half the joy...I enjoy rocking up at somewhere I've booked and seeing what it's really like.

But yep, that guy is spot on. I spent today at a BBQ at a friend's who did Calais to Nice in 9 days (!) and watching their trip movie made me LONG to get back out there. I'd so love to put the panniers back on Liesl tomorrow and head off somewhere. Touring is just a joy, even on the not so great days.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cathryn said:
I'm one of those strange people :smile: For me, the planning is half the joy...I enjoy rocking up at somewhere I've booked and seeing what it's really like.

But yep, that guy is spot on. I spent today at a BBQ at a friend's who did Calais to Nice in 9 days (!) and watching their trip movie made me LONG to get back out there. I'd so love to put the panniers back on Liesl tomorrow and head off somewhere. Touring is just a joy, even on the not so great days.

I'm someone who's deliberately vague when it comes to planning. My tour this year is a domestic one and looks likely to be the Coast and Castles route joined on to the Three Rivers Route then the White Rose Route which could then be supplemented with a Transpennine Cycle Route. However, nothing is firmed up. I have yet to book a train to Edinburgh and eliminate the Reivers' Route as a possible addition/deviation. I'll probably take all the maps with me and make a decision closer to decision time when I've decided when that is. :sad:

Getting back to the point though. Cycle touring is wonderful for the exposure to the true culture of the countries/counties that you are passing through. I've had wonderful experiences both in the UK and in France. And as I cycled around the Yorkshire Wolds, Humberside and bits of North Notts on an Audax today, yet more domestic touring possibilities presented themselves for future investigation.

Top Bottom