Why do you cycle through the winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Many reasons. I love the feel of the weather closing in and manfully soldiering through it. I like the frost, the clear skies with Orion rising over the horizon the feel of my breath condensing in my beard, the incredible acoustics of a freezing, still winter's morning. Best of all, I'm a fat sweaty git so the cooler weather is a welcome and comfortable change for me.

Osprey

Guru
Its my way of recreation and relaxation. Warm weather is nicer for sure but a winter ride is great too. Also fitness and weight loss are a great bonus.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I started winter riding in 2011/12 and wondered why I only did 2 days a week. In 12/13 I did 3 days a week and 13/14 4 days. You do the maths in 14/15 ...

I'll ride in almost all weathers, even today - but do have a couple of 'bad weather' bikes I can call on. They wouldn't see the light of day otherwise and probably belong on a scrap heap. In fact one was on a scrap heap!

Also I still do weekend rides - which can be amazing on top of the Pennines on a cold, frosty morning with no-one else about.

Properly clothed - and being aware of your surroundings - winter riding shouldn't be much less safe than at any other time.

Ditto to stopping me me becoming a chubster again,( couldnt seem to get the quote to work) Plus it saves me roughly 130 quid in parking and fuel per week! Though I do wimp out when it is really snowing as I could not be bothered with sliding down the road on my butt on anymore.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ditto, Plus it saves me roughly 130 quid in parking and fuel per week! Though I do wimp out when it is really snowing as I could not be bothered with sliding down the road on my butt on any more.

+1 to the savings. I take the kids to school by car (3 miles) and the ride to work (10-20 miles). £10
a day saved minimum - petrol and parking.

-1 to the snow wimping. You need a cheap MTB and a pair of spiked tyres:

6323987483_ed0d9d41dc_z.jpg

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I like riding my bike. Plus it keeps my weight down, keeps me fit and ready to pick up on longer rides come the better weather. And the different weather, lighting and wildlife keep it interesting. It's great to watch the seasons and be part of it all. Something you just can't get in a car

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We went down to one car this year, so my wimping option is no longer there. Last year if it rained in the winter or was a bit windy... Well, you know the rest!
If I don't cycle (occasional appointments) and I get my hands on the car I feel rubbish all day for not biking.
As mentioned earlier in the thread the elemental struggle against nature is rewarding, and lastly I really enjoy saying to Mrs Dave "have you seen the muck on my bike, have you? Go and look at it, it's a wonder I can stay upright..."
And she goes along with it!

Katherine

Guru
I keep riding because I enjoy it, so I maintain the fitness I've worked so hard to achieve and so I don't have to eat less!I only do rides of at least 2 hours because it takes so long to get togged up for the weather.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I cycle in winter for the same reason I do in summer, and the other two seasons - because I like the excercise, fresh air, and it is a relaxed way to see new places. Admittedly I do less of it in winter, because I can't be bothered with wind, rain, or ice. Long hours of darkness don't help either.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I ride for enjoyment and therefore, at the age of 64, am very aware that a bad fall could cost me dearly physically. That is why I only ride when weather conditions are favorable. I can cope with other drivers and bad driving but not wet roads, fallen leaves, ice, snow and high winds on two flimsy tyres. I can cope with these in my car. So to sum up, I ride a lot less in winter.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I usually cycle through more in Winter/Spring than in Summer - but this year I can't be ársed at all with cycling, I haven't done a proper ride since the start of June.

Way to go Marmion!

I've not done many day rides this year apart from a few Audaxes and FNRttCs. Most of my rides have been cycle camping tours and all but one of them have been in other countries. I don't get hung up about cycling inactivity and I don't 'live to ride' or even 'ride to live'. I ride when I want to and I currently don't want to.

I have been eyeing up the possibility of doing GPX tracked audaxes next year because I want to get some of the rectangular Audax medals that I don't have in my collection. I like shiny things.

Top Bottom