Why do you cycle through the winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am a cyclist therefore I cycle. :biggrin: But seriously I made the choice in 1985 that I would only use bikes from now on and apart from the odd train journey and bus ride its how I travel everywhere, even though its on 3 wheels at the moment. :cycle: :giggle: I hope to get back on one of my 2 wheelers before Crimble (that was a goal I set myself in September when they told me my femur was eventually starting to knit, its now starting to regain enough strength to support me when I stop.) Plus I want to show off my new Carradice 'Longflap' saddlebag and it doesn't look 'right' on the trike (I fitted it in order to get it home)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Can't be yet. I'll let you know when I stop wearing the 3/4 shorts.

Winter cycling because the summer ride, the Alfa Spider stays in the garage with the mucky horrible roads.
And I'd rather cycle than drive the wifes Skoda.

You keep the mucky horrible roads in your garage? I think one or two have escaped and laid themselves down round my way

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
There aren't that many days it's not possible to ride though this weeks apocalyptic weather here (I'm just waiting on the plague of locusts) has stopped me. I used to ride in shorts in winter in Aberdeen, and as my granny used to say "Nae such a thing as bad weather, son, just the wrang claithes"!

I don't commute anymore (work at home) but go out at some point every day for 20-25 miles. When I used to, only ice would stop me (I fell three years in a row and each time fractured the same rib!)

I loved that ride in in the morning, world defined by my lights, the silence and crisp clear air. And once warmed up it was great, then a fabby shower when I got to the office.
There is also something of the pioneer spirit as well, the bike and rider coping with crap weather. I once had a taxi driver pull up beside me as I rode up Maida Vale in a rare London snowstorm (in knee length shorts) give me a thumbs up (unusual digit for a London cabbie) and shout "You're off your head, mate". Later, at lights a bus pulled up outside me, the door opened and the driver said "Wouldn't you rather be in here?" I looked at the misted up windows, wet, huddled passengers and said "No way!"

It is important to have the right clothes though, especially a good shell, gloves and overboots.

Lisat

I still commute to work each day, that's only 8 miles round trip and use the bike for shopping etc. If the weather is fair I will go out for a longer cycle at the weekend. I only wouldn't cycle to work if we had extreme weather, last winter I didn't commute by bike for 1 week as I was fed up to the back teeth with torrential rain every day for what seemed like months.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Beats an indoor trainer.
By mega miles :thumbsup:

I try and keep cycling but like others here, I'm wary of icy roads and the damage I might do to myself falling off. Last January I took a fall at slow speed on black ice and it put my back out and injured my wrist. I'd just rather not do that again. The councils round here don't grit the back roads - so all my favourite routes can be treacherous. This is the time of year I increase my swimming and walking.

With osteoporosis I'm indoors when the ice is out these days. However councils have priority gritted road maps on their websites - quite often the major roads. Fortunately for me some of them around here are fairly quiet :smile:

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
Solution = get that rib removed, then your invincible.

That would work. I put it down to landing on my right side (fatal I know) and trying to heave the bike away from the ground to protect the rear mech :smile: I've now got a small dent in my rib cage on the right, which my elbow fits into lovely.

Col5632

Guru
Strangely 2 of my top 3 months have been January and November this year, could be trying to make a good start and catching up on the bad cycling year i've had :laugh:

Aslong as their is no threat or little threat of ice i tend to give it a bash :cold:

Top Bottom