Why do you live where you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After moving around England and a few other parts of the world, I ended up on the Isle of Thanet, Kent, as my parents lived there.
As my children were growing up, and realising that work prospects for them were extremely low, there, we upped sticks and moved to Northampton about 30 years ago. Been here ever since..

midlife

Guru
My job, just had to go where the jobs were.

Countryside and coastline all with in a stones throw, and sufficient space to enjoy in and outside the house.
But mainly, circumstance.
For whatever reason, I find myself here due to the influence, positive during the last 10 years, (and negative for 10 years preceding those), of others… me, just getting the best I can every day, supporting Mrs SnG p, her family, my family, and myself, and seeing the joys which nature provides.
Oh, and work too!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Moved from East Sussex in the early 80's cos we wanted to have a go at the good life, so bought a small holding in North Wales but it didn't work out. Got divorced, moved further along the coast and remarried. North Wales is much nicer than down south so staying here, close to my children.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
After moving around England and a few other parts of the world, I ended up on the Isle of Thanet, Kent, as my parents lived there.
As my children were growing up, and realising that work prospects for them were extremely low, there, we upped sticks and moved to Northampton about 30 years ago. Been here ever since..

I upped sticks at just 17 to work for a year in Devon , previous to going to college.

I then got 'stuck' in Devon for various reasons.

Still quite happily stuck in Devon.

Now Im a landowning farmer its tricky to move my place of work, even if I wanted to (thankfully I don't) so I just have to make do with holidays, and other trips, for seeing the rest of the world.

Could be a lot worse ...^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive no real attachment to rural poshshire, AKA south Northants. Its pleasant and villagy, foresty and fieldy enough, but ive no real interest or fondness for it. When I met Mrs D mkII we were working at the same place, and our village in Poshshire had nothing more going for it than it was not too far from work and was roughly halfway between where each of us were living at the time, so a pencil on a map dictated it.

Ive decided Im not going back home and my house up there is being sold to it long term tenant, so when Mini D leaves school/joins the Air Force/ goes to uni we're looking at either the Scillies or Aldreney as our final retirement move. And having made plans now we'll probably end up doing something totally different.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
It was convenient for job 20 years ago, I got fed up with spending up to 90 minutes sat in traffic to commute 15 miles twice a day (I didn’t cycle then).
I‘ll move somewhere greener in the future but as my aged parents moved from somewhere greener to be close to my brother and I that won’t be while parents are alive.
Most of my friends are in and around London but I could easily visit

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Was brought up in the area. Low crime, great countryside on the edge of the Peak District and the Cheshire Plain, 10 minute walk and I am in open fields, 10 miles from Manchester city centre, nearby international airport, mainline train station, great schools, 25 minute commute on the bike. Geographically not far from the centre of the country. Not the cheapest area, but you are getting a lot of benefits. Not as flashy as our neighbours in Alderley Edge.:laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Born in west London, spent a decade in south London, where I met 'er indores, then moved to north London for no real reason other than that my sister and then work partner lived there and made it sound nice. Moved to a house in what 'er indores had identified as the up&coming area for young families. As per, she proved to be right. The young family's not so young anymore, but we're sticking around for the mo. It's nice. :smile:

Top Bottom