Why does cycling attract so many snobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

"The riders I saw up the top of Ivinghoe Beacon, and their online companions, ruin cycling’s inclusivity."

OK which one of you called him a nobber?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just the kind of cheap, easy, low-rent nonsense you'd expect to find in the Daily Telegraph. The Guardian wouldn't print something any half-bright hack could turn out in ten minutes without breaking wind, never mind sweat. Where are all these snobs? 40+ years on a bike and I've never met one.

TVC

Of couse, this weekend there will be one million, perhaps even two million people lining the Yorkshire and Cambridgeshire roads watching the worlds biggest annual sporting event. Lets see what the telegraph says about that.

TVC

What about Crufts, and the World Tiddlywinks Championships?
I'm sure there are forums to cater for your particular tastes.

Keith Oates

Janner
There are snobs in every walk of life, not just cycling. However fortunately they are in a minority that can easily be recognized and can be even more easily totally ignored !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol. A lot of cycling stories have been popping up on radio and News. They've been talking about cyclists being the problem for road rage on the radio and all sorts.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
So, 4 cyclists coming in the opposite direction and he can hear them ''trash talking other riders''. He can even glean how they're making fun of the others' riding and pedalling style and their weight. I've never been able to observe and listen to cyclists in such detail when they're coming in the opposite direction, particularly as I'd probably be keeping an eye out for where I was going and, by virtue of them going in the opposite direction, they'd be behind me much of the time.

That's about as realistic as them taking their own poets with them on a ride....
''It was excruciating to watch. Not just because I suspect I would have been subjected to their bards had I been on the sportive,''

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think cycling is very inclusive, all ages can do it, there are different ways of doing it, different bikes, and I see all sorts of people each day.

There is a tendency to think you need special clothing or hi-vis or a helmet to take part in it, but I see plenty who don't too and I'm pleased when I see them.

Top Bottom