Why does cycling attract so many snobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Is there a road that goes up there? I thought it was the start of the Ridgeway. I found it difficult enough to walk up and didn't see any roads, just a dirt track. In fact, here's a photo I took of it.

That's it. A hundred yards or so of steep, loose chalk to get to the top. I tried many times to get to the top on the MTB without putting a foot down but never quite mananged it. I used to love cycling up there from Watford, have a few tinnies, watch the sun go down and cycle back. Camped up a couple of times too. I guess they mean the road that goes over the shoulder round the side.

DSCN0416_zps6ab098aa.jpg

DSCN0423_zps3cb4a141.jpg

DSCN0422_zps1dd63ee2.jpg

DSCN0419_zps815cdccc.jpg

DSCN0421_zps19b9df09.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Looks like loads of fun. Beautiful area, there.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
That's it. A hundred yards or so of steep, loose chalk to get to the top. I tried many times to get to the top on the MTB without putting a foot down but never quite mananged it. I used to love cycling up there from Watford, have a few tinnies, watch the sun go down and cycle back. Camped up a couple of times too. I guess they mean the road that goes over the shoulder round the side.

DSCN0416_zps6ab098aa.jpg

DSCN0423_zps3cb4a141.jpg

DSCN0422_zps1dd63ee2.jpg

DSCN0419_zps815cdccc.jpg

DSCN0421_zps19b9df09.jpg

Good Lord, Guinness, in a tin too.

Attachments

• DSCN0416_zps6ab098aa.jpg
    DSCN0416_zps6ab098aa.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 31

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Why would people be surprised that there are snobs in cycling? There are snobs in every walk of life. Some cyclists think if you haven't spent at least a grand on a bike and you dont ride at least 200 miles a week, then you aren't a cyclist, and they will look down they're nose at you. If you have a bike, and you get on it even only once a week, and you ride it even just 2 miles, then your a cyclist, and stuff the snobs.

personally, I don't care what people cyclists, or pedestrians think of me. They probably don't think much when they see me cycling along the lane with a bright red face, looking knackered:laugh:.....that's because i am.:laugh:

yello

" Contrary to popular claims, Ivinghoe Beacon does not rise to 249
m above sea level. This is the highest elevation of the nearby
Clipper Down , where a trig point of the same name stands at 249
m above sea level. [2] Beacon Hill, as it is formally known on OS
Maps, actually rises to 233 m, although the precise summit
height is ambiguous: The Ridgeway marker sits at the summit of
the hill at 233 m, with a trig point sited a few metres away and
slightly lower at 231 m."

That's from Wikipedia that is. Says nothing about snobby cyclists, though maybe that's to be taken as read.

Rafferty

I wouldn't call it snobbery, it's simply one-upmanship, and it only works if you acknowledge it. If someone so full of their own self importance brags about something they own or accomplished, simply tell them you've bought a new lawnmower and how wonderful it is.

Leodis

Veteran
I am not saying I don't try and look Pro but there have been a few questions from work colleagues and next door about my performance on the Tour this weekend...

Top Bottom