Why does my brake lever go all way to grip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shawninvan

I am having problems getting my v brakes nice and tight hard pull not pulling lever right to hand grip..
i have watched an excellent video on doing v brakes... my questions are as follows.. i have always put the washers in correct... do you need the rotating washers on both sides of the brake show bolt.. - for example on the inside of the show where it hooks onto the brake and the outside??? i nhave always had the pads flush with rin.. BUT i never had the brakes both move at same time. witht the tiny screws on the side... i can do that,,,.. not sure whatelse causes this..

i am still trying to figure out DO I NEED V BRAKE LEVERS??? are there special levers for v brakes??? if i use regular levers will they [pull right in to hand grip??

my pads seem to be sliding down the rim the harder i pull and not push against the rim causing a hard brake pull... here is a video of how it looks.. p,lease help..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItDAQTA-hg

OP
OP
S

shawninvan

any help here??

OP
OP
S

shawninvan

this bike is a beach cruiser.. i have been told v brakes need v brake levers as they have more pull to them - can tilever brakes will not pull as much
the bars are big beach cruiser bars

the levers are straight but from what i have seen and have on other bikes most v rake levers are two finger bmx / mountain bike looking levers...

the snail

Guru
If we're talking about straight bar levers any will work.
No they won't. If the callipers have been changed from cantis to v then the levers won't pull enough cable. Also the bosses on the fork might be the wrong spacing for the callipers. Another possibility is that the spacers on the blocks are the wrong way round. Usually there is a short and a long spacer, and they can be fitted two ways round to change the distance from pad to rim. It looks like the pads are too far from the rims in the video?

OP
OP
S

shawninvan

Nope.. big spacers are in the inside.. they are all in there ... pads are right to the rim.. the levers are straight old levers.. probably cantilever as they a re on a beach cruiser and dont need major stop power.. i guess when Giant made the bike they did that either for cheaper cost or the look of straight levers as opposed to bmx levers on a beach cruiser... in any case they are the wrong levers ... and they pull all they way in to the grip... not sure if i will switch them or not..
but i think all of you should know.. vb rakes NEED v brake levers... i guess..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've also set the pads wrong. You set them in the correct position by pulling the brake lever, then adjust the pad to fit when biting the rim. Pull hard and tighten up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Im not too familiar with beach cruiser bikes but I have seen a few down here but not paid too much attention to them.
If the bike came with those levers they will be correct, perhaps you could check from internet or makers site.
One person who will know for sure is @Gravity Aided who should respond now I've tagged him.
Sorry I was confused I thought it was just V brakes we were talking about @the snail thanks for putting me right. Maybe the levers have been changed

robgul

Legendary Member
No disrespect to the OP but from his description and questions - and bearing in mind the importance of stopping I would suggest a visit to the LBS where I'm sure someone would be willing to look at the set-up/levers and either fix them or explain how to. Better safe . . . . etc

And yes the levers do need to be V-brake specific, and the blocks toed-in for more effective braking and reduced risk of squealing.

Rob

Top Bottom