Why does my rear wheel keep doing this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adamh2009

Adamh2009

Regular
The lock washers are in the drop outs between the rack and the frame. The tyre keeps twisting to the left and fouling the frame. I think I have sorted it. I have loosened the left bolt and let the wheel sort of straighten itself naturally and re tightened the nut. It seems to be fine for now, but thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad I signed up to this forum.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Get some proper axle nuts with captive washers, such as these. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/10mm-track-nuts/

berty bassett

Legendary Member
like others have said , looks like it needs axle nuts or at least them spiky washer things . also if it was me i would take wheel off and try to get the grease off the frame that may be helping it to slip a bit - good luck

OP
OP
Adamh2009

Adamh2009

Regular
like others have said , looks like it needs axle nuts or at least them spiky washer things . also if it was me i would take wheel off and try to get the grease off the frame that may be helping it to slip a bit - good luck
There is no grease! 😂 It's been a semi restoration. Only thing I haven't touched is the paint and decals really. But yes I'll get some of those lock nuts they look like a good upgrade. Thankfully the nut on the drive side isn't part of the the "tube" for the gear change chain, so it's viable.

Pizza Man

The lock washers are in the drop outs between the rack and the frame. The tyre keeps twisting to the left and fouling the frame. I think I have sorted it. I have loosened the left bolt and let the wheel sort of straighten itself naturally and re tightened the nut. It seems to be fine for now, but thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad I signed up to this forum.
I believe your problem lies in where you have the lock washers.

You definitely need the lock washer underneath the nut. It's serving no purpose whatsoever by being elsewhere. Basically it needs to be making contact with the nut to prevent it loosening.

Or, as Ian H has suggested, just replace the nut with one that has a captive washer in it.

Hope you get it sorted out soon, I know how frustrating these things can be.

silva

Über Member
The benefit of a separate lock washer is that the dropouts aren't scratched / damaged during fastening.
And also, when tensioning, no shifting around - harder to position.

Top Bottom