Why don't I ride this RAB at night again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aah yes, it would be because almost every time I take it some muppet comes flying off the A3 and we both have to screech to a halt, as they look open-mouthed in dumb wonder at the cyclst who dares to get in the way.

Last night - it was quiet so I took the RAB instead of my usual diversion, and ended up doing some very precarious braking in the wet, whilst cornering. A black mpv came zooming off the A3 and only noticed me at the last second. I was already on the brakes, feathering a rear wheel skid and praying to all sorts of deities that I wouldn't lose the front. Mrs Moron sees me, panics and instead of putting her foot down and getting out of the way, slams on the anchors and watches as I stop about an inch from her door. :blush::angry::biggrin::angry::smile::angry::angry:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
With a 'bent you could have put a pedal into her door like Aunty Charlotte, assuming you really couldn't stop that is.

Maz

Guru
usual question...you are well away from the edge of the RAB/in primary when you tackle it, right?

Maz

Guru
Are you wearing reflectives?

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

BentMikey said:
Jacomus'll ride anything mate!!

:ohmy: Scandal!!

Maz said:
Are you wearing reflectives?

Not always, it doesn't make any difference to them doing it. They just have a quick look to their right, looking for car lights approaching on the other sliproad (the one at 9 'o'clock in the pic) and don't bother to look for anything that is on the RAB.

There is often oil and glass at that turning, and I assume the idiots keep doing to each other in cars too!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
This looks like a classic example of where reflectives won't help - because at the time the driver needs to see Jacomus, the car lights won't be pointing his way.

What about a helmet-mounted light? You could scan them with it a few times?

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

I've thought about a helmet mounted light, however I am most often sans helmet when I do this journey. I am also very reluctant to attach anything to my helmet that might reduce its already questionable properties of protection!

I think I will just have to remember to go the long way round (its only 200m more) but I feel that I am giving up a cause that I feel very strongly about - a cyclists right to use the road. I feel that I am chickening out somehow, but I think the danger has eclipsed any benefit :ohmy:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
In spite of my previous comments about how attaching things to helmets isn't a good idea if you want the helmet to work, putting a light on will probably have a far more positive effect on your safety overall.

You could always wear a head torch if you're not wearing a helmet. Or actually, maybe not if you've ever seen someone wearing one. :ohmy:

Iceniner

Ive put a light on my helmet ...

EL450 Cateye Helmet Light

Its nice, light and bright too! Being waterproof helps as well. It can, with a moderate force twist on its base. Some times when its in my bag it gets knocked from straight to some odd angle, but it easy and simple just to click back into central position. I presume that if you did fall off, it could rotate out of the way somewhat.

If you're interested ill try and do some photos of it in action.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Thinking about this one some more, even your lights might not be particularly visible on certain parts of this roundabout, Jacomus. That, with the high speed of the cars, must be very nerve-wracking!

Top Bottom