Why don't people have their drops at a useable height?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
People should be able to ride what the hell they like without having to justify it to other people. If someone buys a drop bar bike and rides it round with the drops pointed at the Pole Star that's their business.

It's legal, harmless, and no one else's business. I mean, with all the death, misery and suffering in the world and someone is spending their time sticking their nose into their peoples lawful affairs when there are so many meaningful things to be concerned over.
End of pointless argument for arguments sake ...succinctly put Drago !

keithmac

Guru
It's strange this thread has come up, I read earlier a cyclist died in York due to riding into the back of a parked car.

They put the accident partially down to his riding position on the drops making him naturally look down.

I was behind a lad riding home from work probably 10 years ago now, he had the same accident (looking down "going for it") and road straight into the back of a parked car. Luckily he didn't break his neck and was relatively OK. I left him when the Paramedics turned up.

I can't ride on drops, my back/ neck isn't flexible enough!.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks for tying up this thread @Drago. So what if I slam my drops on my training bike to pretend I'm Eddie Mercx and shop at leisure on my sit up and beg Gazelle? Keep your beak out and stop overthinking, please, OP.

And yet lots of people have shared their views and some people have become more informed as a result. It's almost as if that's the definition of the word 'forum'.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If most ppl on this thread rarely use the drops and by extension, then have to reach for the gears/brakes, why don't you get a hybrid instead which are usually cheaper and have easily reachable brakes/gears....I just don't get it. Is it an image thing?
Surely you are ignoring all the other benefits of riding a road bike as opposed to a hybrid.

I've enjoyed riding hybrids for commuting and touring. Equally I enjoy road bikes for commuting, touring and club riding. There is no way I would be able to sit with the groups I ride with if I turned up on a hybrid. A hybrid doesn't have the speed, balance and responsiveness one gets from a road bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I read earlier a cyclist died in York due to riding into the back of a parked car.They put the accident partially down to his riding position on the drops making him naturally look down.

Never ride on the drops myself in traffic due to reduced visibility. Way too dangerous. I like to know exactly what's going on all around me when on two wheels. Drops are narrow enough to go through smaller gaps though, but that can be pushing your luck as well.

Surely you are ignoring all the other benefits of riding a road bike as opposed to a hybrid.
I've enjoyed riding hybrids for commuting and touring. Equally I enjoy road bikes for commuting, touring and club riding. There is no way I would be able to sit with the groups I ride with if I turned up on a hybrid. A hybrid doesn't have the speed, balance and responsiveness one gets from a road bike.

There's road bikes and road bikes though, isn't there? Some of them feel docile, generally Tourers, others have quicker steering and feel "fast". I'm not really that much quicker on my Touring frame than on a hybrid. Less than 1 mph that's for sure. My more "sporty" one, also old steel of course, can be slightly quicker than the Tourer - but only if I'm in the mood to push it harder. otherwise it's not much different in speed, just road feel. If you are a rider like me with a laid-back attitude to cycling who really can't be arsed with trying to keep pace with fast riders, then a road bike is not going to be significantly faster. I have to be in the right mood to get the benefit of a more responsive frame, otherwide it's just wasted as I'm just going to pootle anyway.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999

These are benefits to you not me.
I live 1.35 miles from my office, .75 of which I roll down, so all good on a hybrid for that.
Touring and club riding? Nope on both counts. I ride on my own pretty much all the time and love it and I don't really get over about 30 odd miles.
Speed? Don't care.
Balance? I tried sitting on my m8's road bike in the work car park a few times, almost went arse over tit. My sit up and beg Cannondale is way more stable for me.
Responsiveness? I pedal, it goes, I look after the bike as best as I can.

Perhaps you are ignoring all the benefits of riding a hybrid like the comfy ride, good value for the spec you pay for, easy instant access to brakes/gears, much more stable on the bike path/road due to wider tyres etc?

screenman

Legendary Member
It's strange this thread has come up, I read earlier a cyclist died in York due to riding into the back of a parked car.

They put the accident partially down to his riding position on the drops making him naturally look down.

I was behind a lad riding home from work probably 10 years ago now, he had the same accident (looking down "going for it") and road straight into the back of a parked car. Luckily he didn't break his neck and was relatively OK. I left him when the Paramedics turned up.

I can't ride on drops, my back/ neck isn't flexible enough!.

They might have put it down to that, but it was down to him not looking.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
People should be able to ride what the hell they like without having to justify it to other people. If someone buys a drop bar bike and rides it round with the drops pointed at the Pole Star that's their business.
You win the thread.

A ‘handshake grip’ on the hoods, and flat back can be at least as efficient as fully in the drops. Pretty much the only time’s I’ll ride in the drops, is in a big effort sprint, where I don’t want the front wheel to skip about, or when I need somewhere different to position my hands. Some well known pro’s, used to use cut off drop bars.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I sometimes wonder what you are doing John on something as modern as the internet, it is about time some on here considered that not all cyclist are the same or want the same thing.

@SkipdiverJohn Is using the version of the Internet from 1974. When looking around in his cellar he came across an old long since forgotten terminal, and £4.37 later had restored it into a usable state.

The previous owner of the bike I just bought obviously had strong views on the subject:laugh:

IMG_20191202_085054.jpg

Top Bottom