Why don't people have their drops at a useable height?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I can't stand flat bars, the lack of hand positions make my wrists and arms ache after a short while.
1575204317115.png

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
If most ppl on this thread rarely use the drops and by extension, then have to reach for the gears/brakes, why don't you get a hybrid instead which are usually cheaper and have easily reachable brakes/gears....I just don't get it. Is it an image thing?

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
If most ppl on this thread rarely use the drops and by extension, then have to reach for the gears/brakes, why don't you get a hybrid instead which are usually cheaper and have easily reachable brakes/gears....I just don't get it. Is it an image thing?

To be fair, I don't have a problem braking or changing gear from the hoods, I wouldn't have thought many others did either.

Smudge

Veteran
If i were to only have one bike, then without doubt it would be a hybrid. They are the most comfortable for me and the most practical. But i like to have different bikes for different riding uses and experiences, and as i have the space for 4 bikes, then why not.
The road bike is nice to use sometimes because its the lightest bike i own and has the simplicity of no mudguards, rack, lights, panniers or any of the other stuff thats on my other bikes.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I don't think I've ridden a bike with a straight bar since I bought my first road bike in 1979, so my memory may be a little hazy. I think I remember finding that I always wanted to move my hands nearer to the centre than the position of levers would easily allow. A drop bar, with the entire width of the tops available, solves that immediately. Everything else flows from that; you have the variety of positions which everyone talks about. You don't need to be spending the same amount of time in each position for them to be effective.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I don't think I've ridden a bike with a straight bar since I bought my first road bike in 1979, so my memory may be a little hazy. I think I remember finding that I always wanted to move my hands nearer to the centre than the position of levers would easily allow. A drop bar, with the entire width of the tops available, solves that immediately. Everything else flows from that; you have the variety of positions which everyone talks about. You don't need to be spending the same amount of time in each position for them to be effective.

I have TOGS near my levers on my flat bar, not quite the position in the video but it gives a more central and wrist-friendly position to use on this kind of bike: https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/togs-are-bar-ends-for-your-thumbs-351600

Edit - not that I have wrist problems on a flat bar.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Add a pair of bar ends, some double up as a tool kit.
Not for me. I prefer the multiple positions available on drops.

Kajjal

Guru
This really depends on personal preference and also the riders flexibility. I prefer a more upright position with less reach others prefer the complete opposite. Being comfortable in the drops allows for a more aerodynamic position and can be useful on long rides to give a variety of positions to move round the bike.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I dont use the low part of my drop bars much. Maybe I could just as well use flats. So what? My bike has drop bars. My previous bike had drop bars. I like drop bars. I'm not about to start fiddly experiments to see if I'd prefer, or if I'd make more efficient use of, something else when I don't have a problem with what I have.

Had some headwinds this morning so I did actually spend a bit of time down in the drops. I doubt it made any difference.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've looked at hybrids, but I'm on a pension and couldn't fund one, I've also looked at a flat bar conversion, on my geared bike its too expensive, going over to bull horns on my fixed , like on my last fixed, could be an option.

You should be able to pick up a good steel hybrid second hand for about £50 and then add/swap bits. A fair chance it would end up being more comfortable than anything bought new.

Everyone can afford a hybrid, even poor pensioners! Paid £20 for this tidy 1988 Raleigh with a 531 frame and very little wear & tear. OK, it ended up being just north of £50 by the time I'd replaced the Michelin World Tours with puncture-resistant Schwalbes, but still not a lot of money - and you need tyres no matter what sort of bike you ride. Doing a flat bar conversion would cost more in bits plus having two bikes is better than one.

The shape and radius of drops has an impact on comfort and usability. For most riders, shallower drops are better.

Top Bottom