Why don't vampires...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac66

go bang.Or is their unbangyness a hitherto undisclosed power?I ask simply because vampires can dodge bullets because they can move so quickly. They must be travelling faster than a bullet. Guns go bang because the bullet travels faster than the speed of sound. Silencers work on the principle of slowing the bullet velocity to below the speed of sound - hence no sonic boom.Sooo.. have vampires got built in silencers? I haven't seen a film or read a book fiction/non-fiction that covers this important topic.

unbangyness? that'll be the scientific term for it?

Mac66 said:
Guns go bang because the bullet travels faster than the speed of sound. Silencers work on the principle of slowing the bullet velocity to below the speed of sound - hence no sonic boom.

i thought guns went bang due to the explosion of gunpowder and silencers worked by dispersing the shockwave of air coming out of the barrel?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
i thought guns went bang due to the explosion of gunpowder and silencers worked by dispersing the shockwave of air coming out of the barrel?

I'm with trustysteed on this one :

A gun's muzzle velocity is the speed at which the projectile leaves the muzzle of the gun. Muzzle velocities range from subsonic (below 330 m/s / ~1080 ft/s) for some pistols to more than 1,800 m/s (~5910 ft/s) for tank guns firing kinetic energy penetrator ammunition

(Wiki)

OP
OP
Mac66

Mac66

Thanks TS yes a I have just researched how a silencer works and it basically lowers the pressure of the air behind the bullet preventing the pop

However also found...that a bullet that travels at supersonic speeds cannot be silenced because the bullet creates its own little sonic boom as it travels. Many high-powered loads travel at supersonic speeds. The silencer can remove the "uncorking" sound, but not the sound of the bullet's flight.

So if a vampire can side step a supersonic bullet, they should go bang as well beacuase they create their own sonic boom. Well maybe more of a sonic pop.

OP
OP
Mac66

Mac66

papercorn2000 said:
They don't dodge the bullets, they simply have no effect on them since they are already dead.

Ruins the look of the suit though, bullet holes.:evil:

JamesAC

Mac66 said:
<snip>
So if a vampire can side step a supersonic bullet, they should go bang as well beacuase they create their own sonic boom. Well maybe more of a sonic pop.
.. well, only if they dodge at a speed > speed of sound. If the bullet, travelling ever so fast, is fired from, say, 20 yards away, then a vampire, even a fat one, only has to move ~ 1 yard to dodge the lead. Which (s)he could do at 1/20 of the speed of the bullet.

The tricky bit, if the bullet was travelling faster than sound, would be to know that it had been fired at all!!

(I once read of a Western gun-slinger who was so quick on the draw that his last bullet hit the target before the first one!!)

Ranger

When you are shot at by a supersonic round (years in the TA doing silly things) you hopefully hear it pass over your head with a crack and then the bang from the round being fired a (very) little bit afterwards.

So vampires have uncrackyness but not unbangyness

papercorn2000

Mac66 said:
Ruins the look of the suit though, bullet holes.:evil:

Their self healing powers work on their clothes too. That's why they always look so dapper.
It must be a pain for she-vampires always having to dress in leather with high heels, on the other hand they never have "What will I wear?" days 'cos the answer is always S&M dominatrix!

Top Bottom