Why I don't do 'group' rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
walker said:
Laurence, those voices in your head, go with it and just do it. :smile:

you lot would be first against the wall.

davidwalton

Bigtallfatbloke said:
just walk up the bigger hills....keep riding ...eventually the hills will get smaller

Tried this today. Got up the first half of Brock Hill, and not dead. Then goes down and up for the next half. Got a few hundred yards up the next bit and could just feel it all going. OK, BTFB said to walk, so ended up walking around a mile of a 14.2 mile ride.

Breathing is fine, right up to the point where there is not enough air going in. Up until then, it is controlled, as controlled as a Brass player can be.

A North blowing wind still meant I had a head wind going up, so I might do better without the wind to fight against along with my considerable weight, my heavy bike with fairing, and the few kilos I carry in the rack bag for road side repairs etc.

Silly thing is, when I get fitter and lose weight it gets easier, when I need it easier now, not then;)

I did get up to 42mph on a downhill bit though:biggrin::biggrin: Fastest I have been so far.

I just hope the wind is always at my back when going uphill on Sunday.

walker

davidwalton said:
A North blowing wind still meant I had a head wind going up, so I might do better without the wind to fight against along with my considerable weight, my heavy bike with fairing, and the few kilos I carry in the rack bag for road side repairs etc.

What have you got in there man? another bike?:smile:

davidwalton

walker said:
What have you got in there man? another bike?:smile:

Pump, 2 locks, 2 front and 2 rear lights, 2 x 20" inners, 2 X 26" inners, plus multi tool pack, repair kit, and metal tyre levers. The locks are by far the heaviest bits, and I am not prepared to compromise on security.

I was using 2 rear lights and 1 front today as it was overcast and not a lot of light in the country lanes at times.

walker

why dio you need two types of Tubes?
And cant you get by with just one lock? I noramlly just lock the fr4ame and rear wheel and take the front one with me

walker

alecstilleyedye said:
it's a recumbent

Ah, I'll shut it now

davidwalton

walker said:
Ah, I'll shut it now

:smile:

I have the main lock that is for the frame, and a longer one for going around the wheels. I do have another if I decide 2 isn't enough.

The fact that my bike is very different looking than just about every other bike around here is enough for me to always carry 2 locks. Not for work, but for anytime I park the bike up and leave it.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
miloat said:
There is a Chippenham cycle club but tbh i think im a bit young as whenever i spot club runs there all a lot older (and faster) than me and tbh id prefer to only ride with 1 or 2 people.

Nah, you just dont want to have someone thats retired come flying past you on a hill where your giving it your all to go fast up.
Happens at the club i go to( I am normally the youngest on the club rides, i'm 16). Nice wheel to follow though when they do come past.
Best way to find out if you will like a club ride is to do one. I like them.
This is the one i go to. No women in the picture but there are a few that come out on the club rides.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
davidwalton said:
:biggrin:

I have the main lock that is for the frame, and a longer one for going around the wheels. I do have another if I decide 2 isn't enough.

The fact that my bike is very different looking than just about every other bike around here is enough for me to always carry 2 locks. Not for work, but for anytime I park the bike up and leave it.

I never let my best bike out of my sight so I don't need a lock.

davidwalton

rich p said:
I never let my best bike out of my sight so I don't need a lock.

Fine, right up until the point when you must go. Never is implausible. Personally, I would rather be prepared.

Also, I only have the one bike. If I am good and continue to save my money, then when there is enough I will get myself a trike (with lower bottom gears). However, that is going to cost over £2,000 as well :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Another good reason for group rides.
have your bike leaning agaisnt the wall with one or two bike leaning against yours. It wont be as easily visable and before it gets stolen they have 2 bikes to move out the way 'un-noticed' before they get to yours.

davidwalton

Joe24 said:
Another good reason for group rides.
have your bike leaning agaisnt the wall with one or two bike leaning against yours. It wont be as easily visable and before it gets stolen they have 2 bikes to move out the way 'un-noticed' before they get to yours.

and what happens if everyone is as paranoid as me when it come to security??? They will all want their bike hidden.

Top Bottom