Why I don't do 'group' rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
davidwalton said:
and what happens if everyone is as paranoid as me when it come to security??? They will all want their bike hidden.

Good point. But so far there was one guy that asked me to put my bike by the side of his. But other then that everyone just seems to stand them up leaning against someone elses.
Length of rope on a pully tied to an open window will work. When the bike moves off the window will slam shut.:sad:

davidwalton

Joe24 said:
Good point. But so far there was one guy that asked me to put my bike by the side of his. But other then that everyone just seems to stand them up leaning against someone elses.
Length of rope on a pully tied to an open window will work. When the bike moves off the window will slam shut.:sad:

or, I could just carry a couple of locks and then it doesn't matter what everyone else does or wants.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Indeed.
The most strange thing i saw was someone with a very expensive carbon bike, think it was a Pinarello, just lean it up against a wall and walk off from it and go into the cafe and sit down. Would put a lock on one of those.

Joe24 said:
Indeed.
The most strange thing i saw was someone with a very expensive carbon bike, think it was a Pinarello, just lean it up against a wall and walk off from it and go into the cafe and sit down. Would put a lock on one of those.

a lot of riders do that at one of our local cafes. i could have a pick of any of the top named bikes if i wasn't honest.
mine gets locked to the railings even though it's not worth much in comparison.

Renard

Know what you mean, but is there any point in a really light bike if you are going to cart around a heavy lock, and where do you keep it? In your jersey pocket?

walker

piedwagtail91 said:
a lot of riders do that at one of our local cafes. i could have a pick of any of the top named bikes if i wasn't honest.
mine gets locked to the railings even though it's not worth much in comparison.

Alot of cyclist's expect other cyclist to not steal their Pride and Joy, one of the cafe stops we stop at, duing the summer, you find a range of Orbea's, Time, Pinerello, scott, eddie merkx etc. the collective price of all the bikes there hit around the £80k mark (thats no exageration if you think there are at least 10 bikes that cost around £4k on there own)

I have heard of bikes being stolen from the cafe stops but not in my area......

simonali

Guru
If I leave my MTB anywhere unlocked I put it in the lowest gear so the possible thief will have to have a cadence ability of about 400rpm to get away! :ohmy:

davidwalton

simonali said:
If I leave my MTB anywhere unlocked I put it in the lowest gear so the possible thief will have to have a cadence ability of about 400rpm to get away! :sad:

or be able to change gear. If they are used to cycling, chances are that they know where the gears are.

I don't have a light bike. 15Kgs, plus heavier tyres (Marathon Plus), heavy duty racks (top and bottom), front fairing, a rack bag with what I consider essentials,......and by far the biggest single weight........ME:ohmy:

In comparison to me, a coupe of locks are nothing in weight.

If you have more than a few Kgs of fat lurking around your body, having the very lightest bike isn't going to do you as much good any way.

simonali

Guru
davidwalton said:
or be able to change gear. If they are used to cycling, chances are that they know where the gears are.

I'd still be keeping an eye on it and would be able to catch them on foot before they'd got into a decent gear. Plus SPuDs aren't the ideal pedals for a quick getaway if you're not wearing the right shoes!

davidwalton

snorri said:
If I'm going somewhere I think my bike might get stolen, I take my car instead.:thumbsup:

I don't have a car any more, just the bike. The whole point of the bike is to use it as my means of transport.

davidwalton

simonali said:
I'd still be keeping an eye on it and would be able to catch them on foot before they'd got into a decent gear. Plus SPuDs aren't the ideal pedals for a quick getaway if you're not wearing the right shoes!

Neither are SPD shoes great for running. I still prefer the carrying of locks option the best. Might be a little extra weight, but so what! I am not a racer, and I have loads more to lose from me before I need think about the small weight of a couple of locks.

Top Bottom