Why I dont go more than 25 mph, even downhill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As we get older several unwanted things happen. Among these are
a) relexes slow down.
b) you dont bounce as well as you used to :blush:
This has really been brought home by that accident to Ben Swift of team Sky fame.
Out training he hit a loose stone!! Ruptured spleen and in intensive care.
I am now 72 and just feel very uneasy when I get to my magic figure of 25.
I dont advocate that for others, its just how I feel.

Remember whether you come off at 12mph or 25mph you will hit the ground with the same impact forces. It is only in head on collisions that that extra speed will make much difference.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes i'm a proper slow coach going downhill these days - by some folks standards - especially on twisty muddy Devon lanes - you don't know who is coming the other way - and if they've been to spec savers recently enough.

Enough gravel has been dug out of my knees - from previous mishaps - for any one lifetime.

Plus the downside of being a self employed landworker, is that if I'm broken in body, then I'm very quickly become broken in bank too :sad:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Remember whether you come off at 12mph or 25mph you will hit the ground with the same impact forces. It is only in head on collisions that that extra speed will make much difference.
When I came off my motorbike at 40 mph I ended up in hospital having gravel picked out of my aris, doubt that woul happen at 12mph.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Not sure I agree entirely about the impact thing. Ever seen a high speed motorcycle racing spill, where the rider goes bouncing along the track, carried for a considerable distance by their momentum at the point they come off?

Slioch

Guru
You need one of these...

transport-victorian-historian-speed_camera-motor_cars-car-rron1545_low.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm much the same as Dave7... although i don't have a speedo so don't really know how fast i'm going, I always wimp out on descents these days, even on roads i know well. I almost had an off last summer, bombing down a little well known descent, only to find a bank of gravel in the middle of the road just at the bottom, crapped myself when the front wheel hit it and slid a bit. Another was bombing down a big hill out in Wyresdale somewhere... i could see the road ahead and seemed like i could just 'let go'... but the cattle grid just after a bit of a bend was unexpected. Didn't come off but did crap myself. I don't want surprises like that when i'm doing around 40mph

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm much the same as Dave7... although i don't have a speedo so don't really know how fast i'm going, I always wimp out on descents these days, even on roads i know well. I almost had an off last summer, bombing down a little well known descent, only to find a bank of gravel in the middle of the road just at the bottom, crapped myself when the front wheel hit it and slid a bit. Another was bombing down a big hill out in Wyresdale somewhere... i could see the road ahead and seemed like i could just 'let go'... but the cattle grid just after a bit of a bend was unexpected. Didn't come off but did crap myself. I don't want surprises like that when i'm doing around 40mph
I hope the "crapping yourself" was metaphorical otherwise you will be the owner of some very messy shorts :rolleyes:

Top Bottom