Why I dont go more than 25 mph, even downhill.

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Dave7, 22 Feb 2019.

1. lazybloke

lazybloke Über Member

I take descents much more slowly when not wearing a piece of expanded polystyrene on my head.

I know lids are no good in a high speed crash, but risk compensation clearly doesn't listen to logic.

Dave7 likes this.
  2. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

isn't it always? :rolleyes:

classic33 likes this.
  3. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Same here, plus there's no one to feed BigCat if I'm incapacitated.

Dave7 and raleighnut like this.
  4. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Don't tell me you're hitting 27mph, you crazy fool, the human body cannot cope with this red hot maximum pace. Your innards would melt.......this may explain the y fronts.

Edwardoka, Dave7, classic33 and 2 others like this.
  5. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Still to break 50mph, my highest recorded is 49.6mph.

classic33 likes this.
  6. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

Life is too short to waste rushing around like an idiot. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

Vantage and classic33 like this.
  7. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Enjoy the free speed gravity gives you.

Vantage and raleighnut like this.
  8. Markymark

Markymark Guest

25 mph on a steep hill sounds about right to me. Probably a bit faster when going back down the other side.

Jody, MontyVeda, Edwardoka and 8 others like this.
  9. Nebulous

Nebulous Veteran

I'm an adrenaline junkie. Going downhill fast on a bike is the best bit. I had a longtime ambition to break 50mph and finally did it last year, which was a bit of an anti-climax.

Prior to that on a steep narrow country road with a sharp corner about 2/3rds of the way down I was convinced I'd done it. I was too busy trying to slow down enough to manage the corner to look at my garmin, but I got home, plugged it in to my computer and found 49.9mph.

I also broke 49 on Glenshee, it would have been more, but there was a large bird of prey sitting on a rabbit in the middle of the road and I began to worry that it would fly off just as I reached it. I imagined it hitting me in the chest and killing both of us.

Finally the night before the etape caledonia I did part of the course as a short ride to test my legs. Heading backdown to Pitlochry, against the direction of the route I hit a deep pothole at about 40mph on a tight corner. I swear, my wheel bounced out of the pothole, the front wheel moved sideways about 18" to 2' and I somehow managed to stay upright and carry on.

I think one reason I'm so willing to accept risk is that I've never had a bad accident. The ones I have had I've been able to rationalise (as somebody else's fault.)

Edwardoka, raleighnut and Dave7 like this.
  10. Did you sense a knocking noise which became louder and then a voice saying " Hello , can I come in ? It isn't half cold out here ? "

Edwardoka likes this.
  11. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Aha that would be it then.

Fair play to you.. So long as I'm not coming up the steep narrow country road as you descend at 49.5mph :eek:.

When you've had a few more "Wow that was seriously painful" type incidents you start to be a little more cautious maybe?

I've had gravel in so deep that it took ten years to work its way out again (quite exciting when it actually does emerge)

Plus did enough charging about on hoss back as a kid to develop an aversion to hitting the ground quickly.

Think my body would prefer i leave the speed induced adrenalin to the youngsters now :cycle:

Last edited: 23 Feb 2019
    Pat "5mph", Dave7 and Nebulous like this.
  12. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

Injuries requiring such niceties as joint replacement (ok, am an oldie too) can happen at any speed, in my case at between 0 and 2 mph...
    If it's gonna hurt, it's gonna hurt no matter your speed!

13. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Indeed esp on a bike - if you achieve 0 mph, and forget to put yr feet down :rolleyes:

But that doesn't hurt so bad as falling off at speed - ime

14. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

It certainly reduced the gravel rash a lot!

mudsticks likes this.
  15. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

But then, on the other hand, hurt pride can take longer to heal than mere mortal flesh :blush:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice