Why I dont go more than 25 mph, even downhill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I take descents much more slowly when not wearing a piece of expanded polystyrene on my head.

I know lids are no good in a high speed crash, but risk compensation clearly doesn't listen to logic.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I hope the "crapping yourself" was metaphorical...
isn't it always? :rolleyes:

Nebulous

Guru
I'm an adrenaline junkie. Going downhill fast on a bike is the best bit. I had a longtime ambition to break 50mph and finally did it last year, which was a bit of an anti-climax.

Prior to that on a steep narrow country road with a sharp corner about 2/3rds of the way down I was convinced I'd done it. I was too busy trying to slow down enough to manage the corner to look at my garmin, but I got home, plugged it in to my computer and found 49.9mph.

I also broke 49 on Glenshee, it would have been more, but there was a large bird of prey sitting on a rabbit in the middle of the road and I began to worry that it would fly off just as I reached it. I imagined it hitting me in the chest and killing both of us.

Finally the night before the etape caledonia I did part of the course as a short ride to test my legs. Heading backdown to Pitlochry, against the direction of the route I hit a deep pothole at about 40mph on a tight corner. I swear, my wheel bounced out of the pothole, the front wheel moved sideways about 18" to 2' and I somehow managed to stay upright and carry on.

I think one reason I'm so willing to accept risk is that I've never had a bad accident. The ones I have had I've been able to rationalise (as somebody else's fault.)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm an adrenaline junkie. Going downhill fast on a bike is the best bit. I had a longtime ambition to break 50mph and finally did it last year, which was a bit of an anti-climax.

Prior to that on a steep narrow country road with a sharp corner about 2/3rds of the way down I was convinced I'd done it. I was too busy trying to slow down enough to manage the corner to look at my garmin, but I got home, plugged it in to my computer and found 49.9mph.

I also broke 49 on Glenshee, it would have been more, but there was a large bird of prey sitting on a rabbit in the middle of the road and I began to worry that it would fly off just as I reached it. I imagined it hitting me in the chest and killing both of us.

Finally the night before the etape caledonia I did part of the course as a short ride to test my legs. Heading backdown to Pitlochry, against the direction of the route I hit a deep pothole at about 40mph on a tight corner. I swear, my wheel bounced out of the pothole, the front wheel moved sideways about 18" to 2' and I somehow managed to stay upright and carry on.

I think one reason I'm so willing to accept risk is that I've never had a bad accident. The ones I have had I've been able to rationalise (as somebody else's fault.)

Aha that would be it then.

Fair play to you.. So long as I'm not coming up the steep narrow country road as you descend at 49.5mph :eek:.

When you've had a few more "Wow that was seriously painful" type incidents you start to be a little more cautious maybe?

I've had gravel in so deep that it took ten years to work its way out again (quite exciting when it actually does emerge)

Plus did enough charging about on hoss back as a kid to develop an aversion to hitting the ground quickly.

Think my body would prefer i leave the speed induced adrenalin to the youngsters now :cycle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom