Why I dont go more than 25 mph, even downhill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Nah. After a day or two of moaning and groaning, I just think 'Dumbass' and move on. Usually to an X-ray department...
:biggrin:

Definitely.. Being selective in memory has many upsides :angel:

Nebulous

Guru
Aha that would be it then.

Fair play to you.. So long as I'm not coming up the steep narrow country road as you descend at 49.5mph :eek:.

When you've had a few more "Wow that was seriously painful" type incidents you start to be a little more cautious maybe?

I've had gravel in so deep that it took ten years to work its way out again (quite exciting when it actually does emerge)

Plus did enough charging about on hoss back as a kid to develop an aversion to hitting the ground quickly.

Think my body would prefer i leave the speed induced adrenalin to the youngsters now :cycle:

I'm certainly not a youngster but have never lost that thrill. I come from a fishing community, where risk was part of life, and there was a very fatalistic approach, so I think culture is very much part of it.

I've had my share of broken bones, including a car coming through a give way sign when I was coming down a hill. I rolled over the bonnet, but had a sense of relief that I got off with two broken fingers. It still didn't curb my enthusiasm for that wheeeee moment.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm certainly not a youngster but have never lost that thrill. I come from a fishing community, where risk was part of life, and there was a very fatalistic approach, so I think culture is very much part of it.

I've had my share of broken bones, including a car coming through a give way sign when I was coming down a hill. I rolled over the bonnet, but had a sense of relief that I got off with two broken fingers. It still didn't curb my enthusiasm for that wheeeee moment.

Yeah, I still get the wheeeeeee, moment,

it's also the thought of responsibilities that will fall on others, if I can't function physically, as a result of my momentary indulgence.

Boring grown up considerations, n all that.
:blush:

Although my job as a farmer, has statistically overtaken deep sea fishing in terms of personal injury risk.

So perhaps I should cycle more to stay safer.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm with the OP, being aware of my non bounceability. I don't do it by numbers though, just feel. I know what the numbers are by looking at my max speed after the ride. Normally 50-odd kmh.

At 92kg I carry a bit more kinetic energy than most but am made of the same squishy stuff.

Maybe you surfeit of squishy stuff will provide some padding, on impact :rolleyes:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Injuries requiring such niceties as joint replacement (ok, am an oldie too) can happen at any speed, in my case at between 0 and 2 mph...
If it's gonna hurt, it's gonna hurt no matter your speed!

0mph, I found myself plummeting towards the road on my right hand side on Wednesday.
It wouldn't have bothered me as much in my 20's, but at 42? Hurts like a sumbitch!

20190223_131330.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
25 mph on a steep hill sounds about right to me. Probably a bit faster when going back down the other side.
Derestricted?

Top Bottom