Why I dont go more than 25 mph, even downhill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
48 mph is the fastest I can find on Strava - and that was downhill on road on a GT Avalanche 2 MTB with knobbly tyres and spinning out.

Best I don't have a road bike methinks

boydj

Legendary Member
Ultimate max speed does depend somewhat on the quality of the road surface. On the descent into Lochranza on Arran I bailed out just shy of 50mph because my glasses were rattling so much I was having trouble seeing the road. On Mallorca, I went comfortably faster because the road surface was excellent. On a good surface, speed is limited more by gravity and wind resistance, though I think you'd need to be very aero to get much above 55mph or so.

My flawed logic tells me that the faster you go the more likely you are to be keeping up with traffic and therefore the safer you are. Well that’s my excuse anyway. ;)
depends on what you have behind you, if i hear a car making much more noise than it has speed because all of it's 'performance' exhaust and tweaks i gladly stop peddling for a few seconds to let them pas rather see them in a tree in front of me then having them next to me for a prolonged time are doing dangerous things just to get past.

Milzy

Guru
Only 37.5 yesterday but it wasn’t a long or steep hill. I know a few who decende slow & steady but can make up for it by climbing fast.

Top Bottom