Why I dont go more than 25 mph, even downhill.

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Dave7, 22 Feb 2019.

1. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I still do plus 25 MPH off road, where possible.

raleighnut and classic33 like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Dave7

Dave7 Guru

In my youth (a short while ago) myself and 2 mates cycled over the Horseshoe Pass on 3 speed Sturmey Archer bikes. The speedo only went up to 40 but we were WELL over that. No fears when you are just 16.
    But that was 56 years ago :ohmy:

Last edited: 24 Feb 2019
  3. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

My flawed logic tells me that the faster you go the more likely you are to be keeping up with traffic and therefore the safer you are. Well that’s my excuse anyway. ;)

dave r, Dave7, Vantage and 4 others like this.
  4. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

Richard Balantine wrote as much in his book and its a belief of mine too.
    Can't do it myself though...I'm too slow :rolleyes:

5. Threevok

Threevok Junior Member (Trainee)

48 mph is the fastest I can find on Strava - and that was downhill on road on a GT Avalanche 2 MTB with knobbly tyres and spinning out.

Best I don't have a road bike methinks

Pat "5mph", Edwardoka and classic33 like this.
  6. boydj

boydj Guru

Ultimate max speed does depend somewhat on the quality of the road surface. On the descent into Lochranza on Arran I bailed out just shy of 50mph because my glasses were rattling so much I was having trouble seeing the road. On Mallorca, I went comfortably faster because the road surface was excellent. On a good surface, speed is limited more by gravity and wind resistance, though I think you'd need to be very aero to get much above 55mph or so.

Edwardoka and raleighnut like this.
  7. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

You never know what's around the corner

View: https://youtu.be/rmJMUuu6xfU

I once reached terminal velocity falling from the lofty heights of me saddle, it wasn't pretty.

Pat "5mph" and classic33 like this.
  8. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

This crosses my mind too. Sometimes I'm on an A road and I think "I should keep my pace up a bit here". But when it comes down to it, to a driver going at 40-50mph the difference between me tootling at 10mph and me pushing it at 18mph is pretty much nil. In both cases I'm just a cyclist going really slowly.

But if I'm on a long downhill where I could be going quicker then I don't want to be mixing it with vehicles because they can brake better than I can.

If the traffic is slower, such as in urban environments, then perhaps it's a good point.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  9. dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk Active Member

depends on what you have behind you, if i hear a car making much more noise than it has speed because all of it's 'performance' exhaust and tweaks i gladly stop peddling for a few seconds to let them pas rather see them in a tree in front of me then having them next to me for a prolonged time are doing dangerous things just to get past.

10. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

Only 37.5 yesterday but it wasn’t a long or steep hill. I know a few who decende slow & steady but can make up for it by climbing fast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice