Why I hate RLJ, pavement cyclists etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

Cab said:
I'll wager that 80% of road users break rules that they perceive they will cause no harm in breaking and can get away with breaking. For cyclists its running red lights. What proportion of motorists would you think speed? Or dash through lights that they could otherwise stop at because they can just get through on yellow/red? Or park on double yellow lines 'just for a minute'? I'll bet you its more than 80%.

you're probably right, how many cyclists would break those rules too, if they could or if they applied? Certainly all the roadies that use Richmond Park break the 20MPH limit.

This thread isn't so much concerned with the lawful/less-ness of the action but what it stirs up amongst the non-cyclists of the road.
The simple truth is that motorists get p1ssed off because they can't jump reds easily and without (nearly, anyway) risk of prosecution. If they could, most would.

mikeitup

Veteran
I see loads of RLJS and pavement riders on my commute. They piss me off.
People do tend to tar us all with the same brush I am afraid.
A friend of mine made me smile when she informed me that her car was in
for repair cos it was hit by an rlj at a busy junction and he wasn't wearing a helmet. Oh and his bag of lager he had on his bars rolled in the road. What a twat. Car in garage rlj in a&e.

I was asked at work "Why don't cyclists have insurance? One of them nearly scratched my bumper at the junction the other day!". I replied "What you really mean is that you nearly put someone in hospital when you narrowly avoided hitting them with your car". My response wasn't well received.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Twenty Inch said:
I don't know who stegers is.

I appreciate your efforts to make links with drivers and to educate the wider world. I also think that you have far more patience than I do.

However, what I said is not "logic". It's a daily choice that I face at a couple of junctions on my route every day. Not all of them and not all the time, but at one or two I am safer going through on a red light than I am waiting to mix it with the late, aggressive, lanechanging roadhogs that I share the road with. I choose to prioritise my safety over what other people think that other people may think of us.

OK, are you in London, and would you take up my challenge to video your cycling through these junctions? I'll ride out to meet you if it's possible.

My belief is that your safety issue is only because you haven't applied the necessary cyclecraft, rather than there being a real problem that requires you to jump reds in order to be safe. I'm open to persuasion though, and we can get to debate the video on here.

Cab

skwerl said:
you're probably right, how many cyclists would break those rules too, if they could or if they applied? Certainly all the roadies that use Richmond Park break the 20MPH limit.

What of it? So cyclists are the same as any anyone else.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are plenty of idiot POB's about - like those you nearly ride over because they don't have lights, or the one that misses you by millimeters by bunny hopping over a kerb and flying off in front of you down a wrong way street - didn't half wake me up whilst relaxing at a set of lights......

mikeitup

Veteran
fossyant said:
There are plenty of idiot POB's about - like those you nearly ride over because they don't have lights, or the one that misses you by millimeters by bunny hopping over a kerb and flying off in front of you down a wrong way street - didn't half wake me up whilst relaxing at a set of lights......

They should let us shoot them. Have a loyalty card system. 10 POBS shot = Giro Helmet etc.. :biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
skwerl said:
all the roadies that use Richmond Park break the 20MPH limit.

Does it apply?
Is there a speed limit for bikes?

As far as I know exceeding 20mph wouldn't actually be illegal and punishable?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It does apply in the Royal Parks - byelaw.

skwerl

gambatte said:
Does it apply?
Is there a speed limit for bikes?

As far as I know exceeding 20mph wouldn't actually be illegal and punishable?

of course there's a speed limit for bikes. all vehicles have to adhere to the traffic laws.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
skwerl said:
of course there's a speed limit for bikes. all vehicles have to adhere to the traffic laws.

Not quite correct. Speed limits specifically apply to motor vehicles in the RTA, not bicycles. You could still be done for another offence, but not speeding, at least on the general public highway. Richmond Park is one of the exceptions, because of a specific bye-law covering bicycles as well.

Tetedelacourse

You get morons in every walk of life. It's admirable to try to teach them the error of their ways but don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone who sits at the wheel of a bus shares this view of cyclists.

I still say I have encountered absolutely zero cases of this attitude towards cyclists on the road and as a result I don't feel that I am in an "outgroup" on the road.

If I were thinking of beginning a cycle commute, and decided to read some of the stuff on here first, I'd have the fear of God put in me. I simply don't think that the attitude Mag has come across is indicative of what most motorists think.

Cab

skwerl said:

Wrong. Cycles, horses etc. are not covered by speeding laws unless there is a specific byelaw. Look it up if you don't believe me.

RANDOM

Tetedelacourse said:
You get morons in every walk of life. It's admirable to try to teach them the error of their ways but don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone who sits at the wheel of a bus shares this view of cyclists.

I still say I have encountered absolutely zero cases of this attitude towards cyclists on the road and as a result I don't feel that I am in an "outgroup" on the road.

If I were thinking of beginning a cycle commute, and decided to read some of the stuff on here first, I'd have the fear of God put in me. I simply don't think that the attitude Mag has come across is indicative of what most motorists think.

Trust me would all rather pass a cyclist safely rather than injure one.Some cyclist find that hard to believe

Cab

RANDOM said:
Trust me would all rather pass a cyclist safely rather than injure one.Some cyclist find that hard to believe

I believe you. I just don't believe you're willing to accept a cyclists right to choose the safest road position if that inconveniences you.

But lets put it to the test.

Cyclist going down a straight road, he's doing 18mph, the speed limit is 30mph. Normal width road, parked cars all down the left hand side. You're behind him.

Where on the road should he be relative to, say, the parked cars? Where should he be relative to, say, the centre line? Where should he be relative to the right kerb?

Top Bottom