Why I hate RLJ, pavement cyclists etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Where ever is safest for the cyclist,and a bus,well normal bus,wouldnt pass unless its safe.Lets put you to the test,do you seriously think that all bus drivers are as you seem to believe?because it looks like you have turned it into a head hunt here.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm quite respectful of Random here, he/she has come on here and is debating sensibly, even if I don't agree with some of the comments. Cheers!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
One thing I’ll give to random and the rest is that there are some ***king stupid cyclists out there. I’ll give them the term cyclist, because at the end of the day, they’re on bikes.

Due to the weather (& the snooze button) I was in the car yesterday. On my way home I observed plenty of cyclists. Loads of cyclists showing good road sense. Dual carriageways where the cyclist was in secondary, I moved into the outside lane to overtake etc.

But then theres the youth on the pavement, going in the opposite direction to the traffic and skirting round the pedestrians (if they’re lucky)

Last week I was on the bike when I saw a lad on a mountain bike shoot across the opposite carriageways into the central filter from the carriageways on my side and then cycle along it in the wrong direction, before crossing both lanes of oncoming traffic and proceeding to cycle up the nearside lane in the wrong direction.

Personally, as I’ve said before, we need better enforcement of road safety. Whether it be car, van, bus, wagon or bike.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I used to jump Red lights. I kind of saw it as my perk as a cyclist, for putting up with the traffic. obviously, I only did it to get a head start when I knew I wasn't in danger.

After reading this thread, and others, I'm not going to do it any more. Its easy to forget (for me as a newb anyway) the bigger picture and the irritation it must cause motorists.

Thanks for pointing it out,

A reformed RLJ'r :biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

BentMikey said:
You're not alone, me too. Funnily enough I'm listening to ATB at the moment, song by the same name.

I didn't used to RLJ but as with Mikey and Panter, this forum and C+ before it, and Magna in particular, has caused me to change my opinion of some aspects of cycling.

But my own experiences on the road are very different to the majority of stuff that gets posted here on treatment by motorists and on how we are viewed and despised.

Although today I did have a hellish commute, but that will be posted seperately, as no-one was to blame for it but me.:biggrin:

BentMikey said:
OK, are you in London, and would you take up my challenge to video your cycling through these junctions? I'll ride out to meet you if it's possible.

My belief is that your safety issue is only because you haven't applied the necessary cyclecraft, rather than there being a real problem that requires you to jump reds in order to be safe. I'm open to persuasion though, and we can get to debate the video on here.

shoot. He's called my bluff. And I cycle through Bromley too.

If you look at the junction from Bromley High Street to the A21 London Road, it's a very good example. Go through on a red, the road is clear. GO through with the traffic on the green, they're jostling past trying to get ahead of you before the next set of lights. Same at the A21 Kentish Way right to Masons Hill for the station. Same off Westmoreland Road turning left to the station.

Happy to meet you at the station one day and we can have a look. Won't be soon though as paternity leave starts any day now.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tetedelacourse said:
I simply don't think that the attitude Mag has come across is indicative of what most motorists think.

Maybe its just personal and it is only aimed at me then :biggrin:

Cab

Terminator said:
As I have been cycling for a very long time I can actually agree to that statement.It's very rare for motorists to want to do it deliberately.

Depends where you are I think. If you cycle in secondary position (or even closer to the kerb) then a very large proportion of motorists will pass too close. They don't have to, they choose to.

If you cycle predominantly in primary, very few will pass too close. But I get, on average, two or three threats of violence per month from motorists for doing that, and the occasional inentional squeeze too.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Twenty Inch said:
shoot. He's called my bluff. And I cycle through Bromley too.

If you look at the junction from Bromley High Street to the A21 London Road, it's a very good example. Go through on a red, the road is clear. GO through with the traffic on the green, they're jostling past trying to get ahead of you before the next set of lights. Same at the A21 Kentish Way right to Masons Hill for the station. Same off Westmoreland Road turning left to the station.

Happy to meet you at the station one day and we can have a look.

I don't find I need to jump reds for those junctions, although I do tend to take primary. I've not yet felt in danger there, but I'm happy to see how you handle the junctions, not least because I might learn something.

Which way do you go along the Bromley High Street (I think you mean Widmore Road?) to the A21? I normally turn right, coming from Bromley Bikes down the A21. I'll admit burning down the A21 dual from Widmore Rd to Mason's Hill is *exciting*, but it's not a RLJ issue, and since I can get up to 30-35mph down there fairly easily, it's not so much of a problem.

Oh, I can meet up daytimes if that suits you better, and I'll stand you a coffee. xx(

Twenty Inch said:
Won't be soon though as paternity leave starts any day now.
Congratulations, btw!

CotterPin

In discussions about motorists' perceptions of cyclists, I find this document a good read. Some of you may be aware of it. It was commissioned by TRL a few years back.

It's main conclusion was that motorists don't actively hate cyclists - in fact we barely register for them. We're the lowest of the low - even lower than pedestrians. xx(

When the issues of cyclists were raised in the research motorists tend to have negative views about us, seeing us as "an out group". I think someone used that phrase in this thread earlier.

Motorists' key concerns regarding cyclists, the report indicates, are about the cyclist's vulnerability which leads to stress on the part of the motorist, and their unpredictability.

Anyway, it is worth a read. It does say it costs 50 squid but you can download it as a pdf for nowt.

cupoftea

Only 3 % of journeys are made by bicycle, so get over it.
For motorists to say we can break the law, or abuse another group because they don't stick the law themselves is wrong.
If you talk to motorist and if you ask the right questions you find that in fact they are just angry with almost everyone else on the road.
They don't like paying tax, or having speed limits, the list goes on, "it's against their liberty’s” “why shouldn’t we be able to speed” “I can drive at 80 safely”, and their biggest grip, traffic jams “I’m in a hurry” “get out of my way”
Against all of this along comes some numpty (us) in silly cloths riding a bicycle, look at him, pushing in up front, not paying tax. It’s a disgrace, us motorists pay for the roads, oh and look he’s now in the way, holding me up.

As him how he feels about WVM, or taxi’s.

Top Bottom