Why is BB still clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The clicking on mine was solved by tightening my cleats

The other clicking was my knees

Sometimes it's not the bike at all

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've had annoying mysterious clicking noises which I've eventually traced to the cables rubbing and catching where they cross each other in front of the head tube, brief spray of Pledge sorted it.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

Ok, ride today was quiet, apart from an hour in i got some lesser clicks but not the same volume and only when out of the saddle, i even made sure the bearings were properly pressed home and an extra 1/16 of a turn on the adapter, when i removed the possible offending crank it slipped out very easily, im hoping i haven't got shite bearings, so im going to change cranks back over and go out tomorrow and see if it gets as bad as it did.

minininjarob

I had a click once I could NOT find, took evreything apart and was pulling my hair out over it.

Eventually found it was the front mech cable was catching on the cranks as I pedalled, took a few mm off and was the silent. Couldn't beleive it was so simple in the end.

John342

I had an annoying click for the last few weeks on my commute. It turned out last week it was my laces being slightly too long and catching each time I rotated the pedals lol

Brandane

Legendary Member
Ok, ride today was quiet, apart from an hour in i got some lesser clicks but not the same volume and only when out of the saddle, i even made sure the bearings were properly pressed home and an extra 1/16 of a turn on the adapter, when i removed the possible offending crank it slipped out very easily, im hoping i haven't got shite bearings, so im going to change cranks back over and go out tomorrow and see if it gets as bad as it did.
I once had an annoying click and it turned out to be the left side crank. I had installed it without having access to the Shimano tool for tightening the plastic retaining "thing" (can't think what it's called, possibly just a bolt!) which secures the crank to the axle. As a result the crank wasn't quite as tight as intended. Probably not by much, but enough to cause the issue. And I hope I'm not teaching my Granny to suck eggs here, but - tighten that plastic thing BEFORE the 2 fixing bolts on the crank, which incidentally need be at the correct torque as well.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

I understand about the plastic bolt and know what i should be doing with it so no worries on that, when i went out on Saturday i got the same as Friday on the original crank but clicked a little more than the other crank but again only out of the saddle and was expecting that. I disassembled and noticed there was a looked like a pencil line all around the inside the bearing face about 4mm in on both sides and also a slight roughness so i flicked of the seals and couldn't see any grease and had a plastic retainer so i filled them up, so i think the bearings are probably rubbish and im going to get the enduro bearings as they have a metal retainer and felt better overall, so will see what happens next weeks riding and follow up.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Pressfit BB, work of the devil. If you think it is the BB it might be worth investigating Praxis conversions:
https://praxiscycles.com/bottom-brackets/conversion-bb/

They're supposed to be great cranks to run in BSC68mm frames fitted with BSC30 adapter cups.... it's about the strongest crank you can get int there....

chriscross1966

Über Member
Of the two sources of annoying clicks I've had in the recent past, one of them might be relevant to you and that was the pedal spindle on the NDS needed lubrication, the other one was the suspension elastomer on my Brompton and given that your issues are with a PF30 crank, and I'm the only person I can think of mad enough to try and adapt a Brompton to take PF30, and you aren't me, I'm fairly confident that I can ignore that one...

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

Already said pedals regreased and definitely not them and im running shimano 24mm crank, not surprised the cranks are good at £150 but there for 30mm bearings and no good having a good crank and its your bearings that are the problem, i think i have narrowed mine down to the bearings, new ones just arrived just got to fit them.

Kajjal

Guru
I had what appeared to be the bottom bracket going but turned out it was the lower headset bearing. It only happened when I pedalled and was silent when freewheeling.

It can be really annoying tracking down clicks and creaks.

Svendo

Guru
My wheel drop outs need a light greasing to prevent noises that sound like creaking BB on my Cannondale when out of the saddle, had this on other bikes too. I'm also usinf a shimano 24mm crank in a PF30 frame. I have the nylon cups in and a Rotor 'screw together' BB30 to BB24 adapter which needed a LOT of torque (provided by light hammering!) to install and has been OK so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom